986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Two problems / Q's: Sticky Clutch / Gas Tank does not fill to Full (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35527-two-problems-qs-sticky-clutch-gas-tank-does-not-fill-full.html)

mcomet 05-18-2012 07:05 PM

Two problems / Q's: Sticky Clutch / Gas Tank does not fill to Full

I have the car going in for service tomorrow but figured I'd ask here to see thoughts and be ready for what I will hear back...

1. My clutch has been stiff. Driving today it actually started "sticking" near the full pressed position. ie: I press to change gears, release, gears change but pedal is near bottom...I had to put my foot under and pop it outwards... I am pretty sure the clutch needs to be replaced... I also assume this means the clutch spring is worn etc... is that something I'd expect to be replaced with a new clutch anyhow or is that gonna be more $?

2. I have noticed that filling up the car, the gas pump will instantly click to say it is full. Even after just a few second and I know the car is really empty. I can try to adjust the angle of the pump but it never seems to fill up. I keep it going, click start again, release the fuel slower... still clicks. Today it actually started to feel like it was full full and bubbling back, so I stopped...then I get in the car and the fuel is only 3/4 full... Any ideas on this? Almost seems to be a speed thing like I am filling then I need to let it all settle and then try again to put more in...

thanks

Ghostrider 310 05-19-2012 02:02 AM

clutch: You can check the fluid level (shared with brake reservoir) and try bleeding to rejuvenate the clutch action by evacuating any air in the system. If that doesn't do it you will need to dig deeper including inspection of slave cylinder and clutch components. Look for any fluid under or around your floor to check for slave leakage.

Gas tank: All gas tanks use some kind of vent, if said vent is obscured it could cause what you describe. Although inconvenient, it sounds like just adding fuel as slow as you can flow it from the pump should address this problem in the interim. There is also an outside chance the float mechanism / sender in the tank is sticking and the tank is actually full but reading low, measure the gallons and track them and you should get an idea of whether that is the case.

RandallNeighbour 05-19-2012 06:18 AM

I replaced my fuel sending unit and my mechanic recalibrated it with a PST tool by slowly adding fuel to a nearly empty tank and I still don't get a 4/4 reading on a totally full tank. 7/8 is as good as it gets.

It's very frustrating for me because I want my cars to be perfect.

One problem some 986/996s have is the cables/hoses in the tank keep the float down and they need to be zip tied away. This could also be a contributory problem, but Ghostrider's suggestion above about a clogged vent should be explored first.

Mark_T 05-19-2012 07:12 AM

The clutch thing could be as simple as air in the line. Have your flushed you clutch/brake lines lately? Should be done every two years. A good DIY at Pedro's. (and definitely get a Motive European Black Label power bleeder - worth it's weight in gold!)

Beyond that, I would be looking to either the slave or master cylinder as the culprit, in which case you are still going to need to flush the lines. (so get a power bleeder)

Oh, and get the ATE blue brake fluid so you know when you're done.

Joel-Box-ster 05-19-2012 05:02 PM

@ mcomet.. I use to have your no. 2 problem but it away by itself, try filling up in different gas station. :cool:

BTW.. your car has a look alike in Martinez same speed yellow "S" and five spoke rims. :D

Jittsl 05-19-2012 11:25 PM

The fuel tank issue will almost certainly be one of the electric tank ventilation valves. There are valves designed to ensure that there is no venting to atmosphere when the engine is shut down. Check your fuses (e6 from memory) and then try disconnecting the vent hoses at the top of the carbon canister (located behind the fender liner at rear of the wheel well on the passenger side) and seeing if the problem goes away. If it does then you need to figure out which and why. In my race car I simply removed/bypassed them and the issue went away but that won't workforce a street car.

mcomet 05-20-2012 06:20 AM

Hmmm when I dropped car off I was told it was normal to have to use lowest fuel pump flow at gas station and keep it straight instead of tilted...and let it sit then attenpt to repump more in...and that the not fully filled gas tank was "normal" for these cars...heh...will see what happens when they actually look at it...

vitaminC 05-20-2012 03:12 PM

I normally get it to read full on my car. Typically to get the most gas in, I click the pump at the lower rate and turn the nozzle horizontal instead of vertical. I think with some searching you could find plenty of threads on this issue...

Jittsl 05-20-2012 10:05 PM

None of my 996s, GT3s or Boxster have required me to fill at anything less than full rate or in any special gun position. The only time this was ot true was when there was something wrong with the Boxster.

986_c6 05-23-2012 11:11 PM

I have had this gas fill issues for years and I just live with it...it is rare to have the tank fill at 4/4, the best I can get is the needle maybe a mm or two below the 4/4.