986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Another Wind Deflector Topic…with a twist! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35479-another-wind-deflector-topic%85-twist.html)

Homeboy981 05-15-2012 07:20 AM

Another Wind Deflector Topic…with a twist!

Hi All! I know most of you have the factory wind deflector. This is not for you. Unless or until you lose it.

My vehicle did not come with a Wind Deflector, soooo I made one that fits between the roll bar and padding. The padding secures the wind deflector so it cannot move.

I am not sure why Porsche would not go for an easier approach to this problem. I solved mine wind in the cabin in a matter of a few weekends and several sheets of plexiglass. This solution is HUNDREDS less than the factory or any reseller offers.

I now have a Wind Deflector template with two options:

1). A full Wind Deflector made out of plexiglass all the way across the roll bar. This extends behind both seats and provides better wind blocking than stock.

2). A half-sized Wind Deflector. I had mounted 5" Speakers on the rear deck and with the full-sized deflector on it - I could not hear the speakers! So I modified this deflector to just go between the seats (same area as the MIDDLE stock deflector - except it is secured to the roll bar and cannot fall out). It is using the same mounting holes as the larger deflector and blocks about 80% of the wind.

So how many of you need help in this area?

I have templates for both. Just send me a PM and I can send some pics or post them here if there is enough interest. Several people have asked for diagrams to make a commercial offering but so much information has been given to me from this forum maybe I can help someone who has helped me (or IF you have access to laser cutting equipment, let's talk).

Thanks for all your help on my projects. Will post pics if there is enough interest.

bar10dah 05-15-2012 08:33 AM

Similar to this? What did the plexiglass cost you? Seems like a nice concept. Especially if it's a very cheap alternative to the factory option.

Homeboy981 05-16-2012 08:25 AM

Bar10dah,

Pelican and a few others have the plex on the OUTSIDE of the roll bar, it inherently has more wind resistance. Plus, you have to use rivets for the placement on your roll bar AND drill PERMANENT holes. Ouch!

The ones I have use the 'factory' holes on the FRONT side on the roll bar. The MORE WIND the better! It only gets stronger as the MPHs increase, to a point I'm sure but I have 'tested' it 120+ and with only a little wind noise, no sign of failure.

The plexiglass or lexan, if you prefer, is only ¼" and uses the same holes as the roll bar bumpers on the FRONT SIDE of the roll bar, or trim pieces. There is nothing exciting about mine, it just works. Cheap fix. No more breaking the mounting pieces. Plus, it looks better "naked" - since there are no "mesh-looking pieces" behind the seats.

I put speakers on my back deck so I am using the "half-size" Wind Deflector. It looks like the plastic piece in the center from the factory except is a little larger, since it bolts UNDER the plastic bumper roll bar pieces. There are three pieces and they can be undone with a flathead screwdriver (using electrical tape over the ends so you do not marr the roll bar paint). Moderate pressure is all that is required.

Easy to make. Snap the roll bar pieces off, not literally. Measure with what you have (newspaper will work - I used a plastic sheet). Cut the plex out with a jigsaw, mark the holes, measure, mark the holes again and then drill the holes. Sand to perfection.

Finished full size is 40" X 12", and it took a couple trys, so I would buy a 2' X 4'. Material should not be more than $35.

Will post pics soon. Camera is at home.

Homeboy981 05-16-2012 09:03 AM

Here Are Some Shots of the Mini Wind Deflector

4 Attachment(s)
These are shots of the center Wind Deflector.

Kenny Boxster 05-16-2012 12:35 PM

Hrmm... Looks like I'll be driving to McKinney this weekend, and coming back with a wind deflector. :) Pm sent.

ekam 05-16-2012 01:01 PM

Is this really an issue? I mean if the wind is bothering me I'd put the top up.

This is like tinting the windows of your convertible or wearing a winter coat with no shirt on.

Kenny Boxster 05-16-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 290609)
Is this really an issue? I mean if the wind is bothering me I'd put the top up.

This is like tinting the windows of your convertible or wearing a winter coat with no shirt on.

Have you ever had a female passenger sit next to you complaining about her hair? :p

bar10dah 05-16-2012 07:44 PM

$35 in materials and an afternoon of cutting and fitting? Awesome... :)

ekam 05-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 290624)
Have you ever had a female passenger sit next to you complaining about her hair? :p

I like my women tall so I doubt that the wind screen is going to help much.

southernstar 05-17-2012 09:00 AM

Actually ekam, I suspect that it will make a difference. My fiance is 5'8" tall with long hair. With the factory wind deflector up at speeds of about 130 kph, although there is till some movement of her hair, she is comfortable for even medium length trips without wearing a hat, or scarf. Without the wind deflector - not a chance.

Brad

Uller God 05-17-2012 09:09 AM

You can pick up a whole variety pack of pony tail holders for less then a buck to keep the ladies happy.

southernstar 05-18-2012 05:00 AM

Gotta set the record straight - spoke to my fiance last night about this thread and she reminded me that she is 5'9", not 5'8"! Funny, but while the debate about the advantages of a wind blocker was of no concern to her, the fact that I understated her height - and worse, that I didn't remember it, certainly was. Hmmmm, maybe I should remove mine......

Brad

Windrestrictor 12-08-2015 09:50 PM

Maybe this will give some insight...

It's a quality wind blocking system that you can be proud to display on your fine convertible Boxster!

You know, we get calls everyday from people around the world and a very common response we get is something along the lines of “I’ve never seen anything like this”. Well, this does not surprise us since we are the inventors of the laser engraved, illuminated wind blocking device. Nevertheless, we are overwhelmed with gratitude every time we hear it because we know that our designs are well engineered and totally innovative. This long awaited product is no exception at all. So, without further ado, introducing the new Windrestrictor® Brand wind blocker for the Porsche Boxster. This high-quality wind blocking device is finally available on our website. Be sure to use code "WRblog" when you check out to receive a special discount! You can check out the pricing and find more information on our wind deflector made for the 986 Porsche Boxster here, and here for the wind deflector made for the 987 model Porsche Boxster.

More here

alansdavid 11-14-2022 02:20 PM

I was gifted a wide deflector. No hardware though. What do I m eed to install it?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Rob175 11-23-2022 07:56 AM

Windrestrictor......your webite is interesting but not very informative for a potential customer.
Price, Porsche fitment, years and models, install instructions, required hardware etc etc etc.......all missing from your web or can't be found.

Details would be valuable to know.