986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Frunk/trunk release backlights staying on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35472-frunk-trunk-release-backlights-staying.html)

Bobiam 05-14-2012 01:29 PM

Frunk/trunk release backlights staying on

The 2001 has front and rear trunk release switches by the driver's door. These are backlit so you can find 'em in the dark. The lights are LEDs so they don't take any power to speak of.
My problem is that unless the car is locked/alarmed, the backlights don't go off! If this happens overnight it won't harm the batt. But it killed my 6 yr old batt after being ON for a week or two without the car running.
I just changed the old batt and the problem remains. I can take the cover off and disconnect the LEDs I suppose, but I'd rather fix it right.
Any suggestions? One person already suggested that the ignoition switch may be the culprit. I just don't want to start changing parts all ofthe place until I get some more ideas. Sounds to me that there is a faulty timer relay somewhere.

Thanks......

Bobiam 11-23-2014 02:01 PM

Just found the answer to my own question. Only took 2 years! I guess it was not these little lights that killed my batt, but age. The Bentley manual says that these lights come ON when the car is unlocked, and go OFF when the car is locked or when the car is not used for 2 hours. I imagine that I didn't check it after 2 hours. Who would think that the lights would be needed at that time!!!???

Deserion 11-24-2014 09:59 AM

My '04 behaves this way as well. Also ditto on the little LEDs in the interior door handles and dome light assembly.

BOOTLEG 12-22-2014 01:57 PM

2001 BOX S w/dead bat = trunk lids inoperative. Tried the alternate bat + to red fuse, - to grd. on door hasp, but nothing. Pulled rt. side inner fender liner and found hole where cable loop should be..... nothing.

Any thoughts?

nicecar 12-22-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOTLEG (Post 429201)
2001 BOX S w/dead bat = trunk lids inoperative. Tried the alternate bat + to red fuse, - to grd. on door hasp, but nothing. Pulled rt. side inner fender liner and found hole where cable loop should be..... nothing.

Any thoughts?

may be rerouted to tow hook in front or in mine and your case around the center opening in front that S models have. Rerouted rear to under bumperette, Good luck....probably rerouted

jotoole 12-22-2014 06:21 PM

Doubt the release cable was removed or severed. I was in similar situation couple months ago. Do a THOROUGH search under front end, behind bumper cover
, etc...