Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #1

Black wheels yellow Calipers, or Silver Wheels red calipers?

So I need to redo my brakes, and my boxster is a base model so the calipers are just gray. I want to paint them either red or yellow but I cant decide so Im looking for opinions.
My car also has black wheels. Im not sure if the black finish is OEM or not though

Anyways, should I leave my wheels black, and paint my calipers yellow, or Refinish the wheels in Silver, and paint my calipers red?

heres my car for reference

Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Go yellow & black attack, red looks like I want it to appear to be an S. If you're going to pose go big and make them think they're ceramics, that's what I did with my 986 and yellow would look even better against black.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

I would refinish the wheels in a gun metal color which I think you can do with a duplicolor can. Might take some trial and error. A few coats of clear so it won't fade after washing/rain. Paint the calipers red and add some PORSCHE decals on the doors in a dark grey to match the wheels. And I'd paint the roll bar hoops the same color as wheels -- check forum sponsor Klisstle, the paint would be DIY.
A lot of bang for very little buck with those mods.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #4

I freshened mine up with silver calipers and new black Porsche decals. Check out my sig and see what you think. I like it. Just my 2 cents.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #5

Im actually leaning towards the black wheels/yellow calipers option, with new black Porsche decals.

I agree the red calipers may be a little "poser" as if I was making it an S model.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

^ Plenty of Porsches have had red calipers over the years. It's not just a 3.2 Boxster option. If anything I find it odd that Porsche would go out of its way to paint a caliper a different color. Just like going out of its way to make a different engine when the 3.6 would have worked perfectly well in a Boxster. It's like they are intentionally taking the shine off product A just to upsell product B. --Weak sauce.
Yellow calipers might arguably be a "poser" option since they're generally associated with carbon brakes which ALL Porsche fans know are very rare on most Pcars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
SoK

Yeah I'd go red, will mesh with the car better. and then get some smoke/red DEPO LED tails.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
Yeah I'd go red, will mesh with the car better. and then get some smoke/red DEPO LED tails.
where do I find these DEPO lights? I cant seem to find them. I wanted to do my headlights and taillights
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
SoK

Ebay. Think I paid $180 shipped for the pair adn they're a huge aesthetic upgrade from stock.

For headlights, get ready to shell out a lot. Check out the DIY section, there's a thread in there about shaving down the amber in the headlights where a guy posted some pricing on all LED with black or chrome housing headlights that look sharp.