986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Bumper Fire???? Exhaust Tips (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35460-bumper-fire-exhaust-tips.html)

ProjectM96 05-13-2012 05:44 PM

Bumper Fire???? Exhaust Tips

My new performance exhaust system touches the rear bumper. The tips are held up against the bumper pretty strong and it gets pretty hot since it is a high flow muffler.

Do I need to worry?

Is the gray part over the muffler tips made of aluminum or is that plastic. I cannot tell by feeling it or looking at it.

I have seen pictures of other cars whose bumpers caught on fire from exhaust.

Keep in mind that I will be driving it hard at the race track for 4 hours on Saturday. 1 hour breaks after each hour of driving.

ekam 05-13-2012 05:48 PM

It should not be touching and the muffler does move/twist under acceleration so you should fix it ASAP...

Kenny Boxster 05-13-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 290161)

Is the gray part over the muffler tips made of aluminum or is that plastic. I cannot tell by feeling it or looking at it.

I believe what you are referring to is the heat shield. It is made out of metal, aluminum I would guess, as plastic would melt under those high temperatures.

DFW02S 05-13-2012 06:43 PM

Drill out the holes where the muffler hangs on the holder bolts. The muffler will drop off that touch point.

Ask me how I know.

ProjectM96 05-13-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW02S (Post 290170)
Drill out the holes where the muffler hangs on the holder bolts. The muffler will drop off that touch point.

Ask me how I know.

The reason for it happening is that the OEM U-pipes do not connect very well with the Top Speed Catback Exhaust and Test Pipes.

I had to really bend the muffler and test pipes to make them go in the U-Pipe.

That bending resisting force is pushing the muffler tips up against the bumper.

I tried making the 2 upper holes on the exhaust bracket larger using a dremel so I can pull the entire exhaust down a few mm. But I still have the problem.

My next solution is to actually get longer top bolts and a bunch of washers(to use as spacers) to let the entire muffler stick out more so there is no strong bending force from the U-pipe pushing it up against the bumper.

@Kenny Boxster

The Heat shield is behind the bumper. I am talking about the gray trim over the muffler tips that you can see from standing behind your Boxster.

DFW02S 05-13-2012 07:56 PM

The material TS uses is high quality so it isn't an easy grind to elongate the holes, but it worked for me. Mine is 1/2" below the bumper now. Loosen all the bolts so that it hangs as free as possible before tightening it.

For the months (9? 10? not certain) that my tip was actually touching the shroud on top, I just laid a piece of HVAC metal tape against the shroud. It's really only an exhaust cover touching the bumper shroud, not the exhaust tip itself.

ProjectM96 05-14-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW02S (Post 290174)
The material TS uses is high quality so it isn't an easy grind to elongate the holes, but it worked for me. Mine is 1/2" below the bumper now. Loosen all the bolts so that it hangs as free as possible before tightening it.

For the months (9? 10? not certain) that my tip was actually touching the shroud on top, I just laid a piece of HVAC metal tape against the shroud. It's really only an exhaust cover touching the bumper shroud, not the exhaust tip itself.

Yeah it did take me about 30 minutes to elongate the hole with a dremel.

I will work on it again today trying my other possible solutions to see what works.

jacabean 05-14-2012 04:45 AM

you can also try shimming out the muffler bracket with some washers , which will push it down . you can also use the shims to balance out fitment for centering the out let pipes. i used some 3/8" thick brass bushings to get good fitment.

jacabean 05-14-2012 04:50 AM

i think the problem is that the test pipes are a little bit on the long side. so shim or cut is your option. i like the look of the pipes sticking out a little more than the stock ones.

ProjectM96 05-14-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean (Post 290199)
you can also try shimming out the muffler bracket with some washers , which will push it down . you can also use the shims to balance out fitment for centering the out let pipes. i used some 3/8" thick brass bushings to get good fitment.

That is what I am doing. I have about 20 thin washers that my work was recycling. I am going to use them as spacers and let the entire system move back further, which will make the tips stick out the bumper maybe another inch but thats okay. I just have to find longer bolts from homedepot or lowes.

I will let you know how it goes. I also put together a DIY video with new exhaust sound. I will post that in the DIY thread soon.

What I love about this exhaust is that it feels stock. No rattling. No drone. Sounds stock at idle and under 2500rpm so I won't wake everyone when leaving the house late nights. And then it turns into a GT3-like loud sound when you floor it. It is especially amazing in tunnels and under highway bridges.

ProjectM96 05-14-2012 05:46 PM

:) The Combination of Washers and Dremel worked perfectly for both angle and height.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7...12565273_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7...05baa556_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7...d466bb78_z.jpg

DIY video coming soon!

DFW02S 05-14-2012 06:45 PM

Nicely done!

Now flush your brakes before the DE! :)