Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

Aftermarket Radio Install

Does anyone have a good walk-through or video of how to remove the factory radio in my 2001 Boxster? I am about to buy a new Alpine head unit, but wanted to make sure I could install it easily before I pull the trigger. -Thanks in advance

Tmbcn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Easy to do once you purchase the tool set. See video

Audi, Land Rover, MBZ, Porsche, VW, and Volvo Radio Removal - YouTube
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

Awesome Brian. I'm ordering it from Crutchfield.com so they provide the tool for free. I'll try to do pics of the install if you think people would want it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Which did you order? I've been considering the CDE-123. It has front/rear pre-outs. Which, I hear, maintains the use of the OEM amp, especially the ability to fade F/R.

I really do enjoy my CDR-220, but the display is starting to go. As soon as it does, I believe the CDE-123 from Crutchfield will be what I get.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Which did you order? I've been considering the CDE-123. It has front/rear pre-outs. Which, I hear, maintains the use of the OEM amp, especially the ability to fade F/R.

I really do enjoy my CDR-220, but the display is starting to go. As soon as it does, I believe the CDE-123 from Crutchfield will be what I get.
I ordered the CDE-HD138BT. It was a little more expensive, but includes HD radio and bluetooth, as well as front/rear/subwoofer pre-outs as you have mentioned. This should keep the fade ability. I'm also considering buying an adapter so that I can use the steeringwheel volume controls, but at this point I don't think it is worth $50 or whatever they charge. I also ordered the 4" Alpine type-S speakers for the dash, so It should put some new life in my stereo.
(link to receiver)
Alpine CDE-HD138BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

I ordered the CDE-HD138BT with 4" Alpine Type-S speakers for the dash. It has front and rear 4volt pre-amps so that I can maintain the fade function. Crutchfield costs a little more than Amazon or other online retailers, but they provide excellent customer service and provided me with everything I need, from mounting brackets to the tools to take out the old receiver. It should be a massive improvement because my car is already 11 years old, and streaming music via bluetooth should be nice.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

Garage
I'm not sure about your 2001, but the deck died on my '03. I found out it had the MOST system with the fiber optic amp connection. I had to replace the amps as well to get the JVC deck to work. Also had to use 2ohm amps to stay close to the Bose speakers resistance. I choose JVC KD-R820BT because it has Bluetooth, USB, iPhone integration, and let's me stream music from my phone apps.

Good luck!

dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001 , alpine , audio , radio , speakers