986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Powder coating wheels... Thoughts? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35293-powder-coating-wheels-thoughts.html)

Xmode007 05-04-2012 06:14 PM

Powder coating wheels... Thoughts?

So I'm due for a new set of tires soon. I thought to powder coat the wheels matte black at the same time. I have the 19" Carrera S wheels. Anyone experienced this? I want to to have a black on black look. Beats paying for new wheels and who knows the problems faced with aftermarket wheels. Thoughts?

onefastman 05-04-2012 06:42 PM

Paint don't powder coat. You can touch up paint, not powder coat.

Also don't do matte black on black. No contrast and looks cheap unless it's on a really really bad ass car (think modded gt3-rs or cgt) Had a scud that I tried it on and it didn't look good at all.

Johnny Danger 05-04-2012 07:26 PM

Powder coating is great. However, it can be difficult to get good coverage on multi-surface objects that have hard to get at places like wheels do. Traditional paint is better .

jrcui 05-04-2012 08:02 PM

I was thinking of powder coating too. A co-worker had their FJ wheels done for around $300 including sand blasting, and no complaints so far. I had a couple quotes to paint my 16's. One was for $500 and the other was $600. Still debating what to do.

986_c6 05-05-2012 01:10 AM

The dark grey wheels would look really good on a black car...just enough contrast, but still retains the almost blacked out look.

Think the 08 Superleggera and my vette has that look also.

LAP1DOUG 05-05-2012 03:07 AM

Powder coating in "The ATL"

If you decide to go with powder coating, I highly recommend Miller's in the Lilburn area:

Miller?s Powder Coating

These guys did some motorcycle wheels and a few other parts for me, and were excellent and reasonably priced. My motorcycle wheels had a lot of small nooks and crannies where the brake discs attached, but the coating is very complete and uniform.

Good luck.

Some additional thoughts on your post: In my experience there is no need to be concerned over after market wheels. I have a set of OZ Allegerita's in what they call anthracite black that are excellent, quite low weight, and a bit wider than stock.

For new tires, I suggest going to see Kirin at Gran Turismo East.

Flavor 987S 05-05-2012 03:22 AM

I am having a set of 996 hollow spoke turbo twists powder coated in a couple weeks. $150/wheel.

If you decide to go black, have the most outer edge polished out, like the factory does, to give some color/tecture delineation between the wheel and the tire.

Johnny Danger 05-05-2012 04:30 AM

So far I've owned three sets of high end aftermarket wheels that were ordered in gloss black. Two sets were painted with standard automotive paint, while the third was powder coated. The uniform coverage and consistency of the two that were "painted", was far superior to that of the set that was powder coated . In fact, I was so disappointed with the lack of coverage on the powder coated wheels, that I sent them back for another coating . Unfortunately, the results were the same - poor coverage down inside the lugs, inconsistencies around the spoke windows etc .... In my case, maybe I just had a bad experience, but I much prefer traditional painting when it comes to wheels .

Xmode007 05-05-2012 06:03 AM

Thanks everyone for your post. Reason why I wanted to powder coat over pair was durability. But you have a point touch up will not happen with it. The matte black was a satin finish so it looks grey almost with a slight sheen. What I'd like to see is real example of the hue. Hopefully that will help with the decision.