Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Headlight Recommendations

The low beam bulb burnt out and I am fed up of the standard bulbs and decided to upgrade all the bulbs to Philips. I like white light, however i occasionally drive in roads with little to no lighting. I am confused between these 3 Philips bulbs:

1) X-Treme Vision
2) Blue vision Ultra
3) Diamond Vision

Anyone uses these types... maybe you can give me recommendations. Cheers.

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

Do you want color or power?

Philips makes great bulbs...I have used their Vision Plus model for several years, both in the H4 size and H7. I am running them now in my fog lamps in my Litronic-equipped car.

Watch out for bulbs (Philips or other makes) that are tinted to produce a certain color temperature, like 5000K, 6000K or higher. These tinted bulbs may produce a light with a bluish-white color that you like, but the power output will be reduced. To me, it is dumb to deliberately sacrifice power for the "HID look."

The best-kept secret in H7 bulbs is the Osram Rallye 65w H9-on-an-H7 base bulb, available from candlepowerinc.com. Being 10w more powerful than a normal H7 bulb, they produce a full 50% more light. But the bulb life is the same...about 500 hours. My wife's Passat with normal, or the Vision Plus bulbs, was barely driveable to me...very scary at night. With the 65w bulbs I can actually see where I am going.

Okay, the Osrams are not strictly legal, but in two years of use in the Passat I have never had an oncoming driver object to them. At $36/pr they are not cheap, but they are not $70/pr "HID-look" ripoffs, either. No affiliation, etc.
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Check out Sylvania Silverstars, extremely high quality halogen bulb!

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote