986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Convertible top question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35221-convertible-top-question.html)

OldMacTech 05-01-2012 04:53 AM

Convertible top question

Project car has broken plastic ball joint on right side of top. Previous owner had removed most of the guts so I am trial fitting to see what parts I need. Using great Pelican guide.

Hooked up left side, everything moves freely, connected right side, now the trim won't drop at all. Likely the reason that the ball joint failed but what should I look for as the cause? Right side transmission? Cable?

Thnx.

Jb

schoir 05-01-2012 06:51 AM

What do you mean by "the trim"?

Regards, Maurice.

OldMacTech 05-01-2012 02:05 PM

Little vague I guess. I meant the whole assembly that raises up then lowers to cover the top when its retracted. Boot or boot cover maybe it's called?

When mine has the left side pushrods a the rest of the mechanism connected it raises and lowers easily by hand with very little resistance. When I connect both sides, the right will not go down at all even with light pressure applied by hand. Just curious if this tells why the right plastic ball joint broke. Or.....is is supposed to resist and only move by motor?

Sorry if this is 1st grade material... New to the breed.

Thnx

OldMacTech 05-01-2012 02:10 PM

Apparently it is called The Clamshell.

schoir 05-01-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMacTech (Post 288617)
Little vague I guess. I meant the whole assembly that raises up then lowers to cover the top when its retracted. Boot or boot cover maybe it's called?

When mine has the left side pushrods a the rest of the mechanism connected it raises and lowers easily by hand with very little resistance. When I connect both sides, the right will not go down at all even with light pressure applied by hand. Just curious if this tells why the right plastic ball joint broke. Or.....is is supposed to resist and only move by motor?

Sorry if this is 1st grade material... New to the breed.

Thnx

That assembly is called the "clamshell" and it is controlled and driven by one of the two arms of the lever on each side (left and right sides) through the black "hydraulic" pushrod.

The front pushrods (the ones that terminate in a plastic ball cup that is either red or white) control and drive the canvas-covered convertible top frame.

If all four pushrods are connected, the top (both the top frame and the clamshell) is only supposed to move by means of the electric motor driving the transmissions through the vinyl-covered drive cables. The V-levers are bolted on with a keyway slot that mates up with each transmission's output flange.

If you want to check whether anything is binding, disconnect all four pushrods and move the convertible top frame by hand through its range and do the same for the clamshell. Each of these two assemblies should glide easily and move with almost zero resistance.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir 05-01-2012 02:31 PM

BTW, if you want to familiarize yourself with the "guts" that the previous owner may have removed, take a look at this link: installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97 - mikefocke2

Specifically look at the Part II PDF, at the photos and text at pages 19 to 21.

Regards, Maurice.

OldMacTech 05-01-2012 04:38 PM

Good resource

Thanks, tells me most of what I need- mostly just convinces me that worrying about making the top fully electrical is not a big priority. Probably just leave it mechanical.

Thanks.

Jb