Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Eric in Wine Country

Bass options

I know this is been talked about before, but...

I am planning out a system build in my Boxster and it is going to need at least a little bass.

I want to do something in the interior but not in the footwell. Currently, I'm thinking about a kick panel option or somehow modifying the rear storage panel to include a little subwoofer...similar ti the Bose soundbox. Another option I guess would be to buy the Bose enclosure.

Anyone been where I've been and have any thoughts or advice?

etarasoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

Garage
There's an excellent write up on here somewhere about putting a sub in the center console.

My search skills weren't strong enough to turn it up, sadly.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Here it is...

Don't forget to check the follow up link by the op...turned out quite nice. The airbag module worries me a bit, though.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Eric in Wine Country

Thanks guys...did come across that one. Great idea. Unfortunately, I have a 2005.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've concluded that under/behind the passenger seat is the only option for me. Going to have a fiberglass enclosure made. Anything else would take up valuable space. There is the rear compartment, but this pretty much limits you to a couple of 6" "subs".
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've concluded that under/behind the passenger seat is the only option for me. Going to have a fiberglass enclosure made. Anything else would take up valuable space. There is the rear compartment, but this pretty much limits you to a couple of 6" "subs".

I found some nice ideas by doing a Google image search for boxster sub...
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
If a true sub install is going to cramp your style, consider just using quality 6" woofers in the doors. With a tuned box and hpf at 50 hz they should sound great. It won't set off car alarms as you pass by but recording studio monitors were often filtered at 50 hz for full range flat music reproduction since the 60s.

These things sound amazing without subs:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/PRO-C261.aspx

Last edited by Topless; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
Scrap the Stock System

I love my little P-car….but the sound system and cupholders are junk. You will not regret putting in a 2-Din unit and a 4 channel amp. Then you will have plenty of bass with 6" in the door-make sure the depth is less than 3" using a ˝" plexiglass insert, upgrade the stock dash speakers too, they are 5.25" I believe (make sure you hook the tweeter back up-no reason to have a good tweet go to waste) and add a pair of 5 ˝" two or three way speakers to the back deck. I mounted mine on top and they still work well with the top down, then the bass is just right! If you need some help you can PM me and i'll find some photos and instructions to help you out. I even found placing the cupholder on the floorboard, as opposed to in the air where it is subjected to more Gs, suited my driving style a little better….the cost was $4 at Walmart and a little time for the cupholder…the stereo took a week, for anyone else it would be 8 hours. I was scared to cut my back deck storage compartment but it turned out to still be useable since the speakers are low profile they hardly take up any space and the sound? AWESOME! It does not take much for such a little space but one set of speakers and subs really does not cut it. Plus, the stock system is 4 ohms and rinky-dink paper speakers! My $.02.

Here is the new JVC HDT3NW Nav, ipod, memory stick, USB drive, video, backup camera (a much-needed improvement in these cars), hands-free calling, voice dial, etc.

Can you spot the stock stereo and cupholders? The one on the floor is more stable and cheap to make….$4 at WallyWorld.

Here is the back deck speaker pair….

The speakers are only 2" deep, so they do not take up much space…

This is a quick-disconnect for servicing the engine. Takes 30 seconds to unplug.

Backup camera view. I have it wired to the AV IN so the camera is on full-time…..

….so when I say "See Ya!" I REALLY mean it! Next if i could only record the reactions of people when it pops up!

This system jams and was fairly easy to install. PM me if you need help deciding how to proceed….
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Correction...

The 2-Din unit is a JVC kw-nt3hdt. Similar to the Pioneer AVICs, except I got mine on ebay for $400….
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

good job homeboy981. I had the same idea for the rear compartment. I chickened out because I did not want to cut. But looking at yours makes me want to do it. I already have the wires running to the back with a quick disconnect as well. 5 1/2's should put out decent midbass. I bought some "blackhole stuff" ( a dampening product that looks like recycled cotton/polyester fibers to fill the inside of the rear compartment to eliminate resonance and deeper signals canceling each other. It should give you a lower and better frequency response. It might be my weekend project.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

@ etarasoff, Im running a pair of Aura shakers underneath my seats. Im powering them with a very small amp with a remote level control knob. I can control how much rumbling I want at the reach of my fingertip. Hard to explain but basically they are cone-less speakers. The voice coil moves up and down like a regular speaker but instead or creating sound, they create movement aka "shaking" They are attached to my floorboard (had to cut the carpet out, you can't notice since underneath the seat). Besides a good rumbling on your bottom, the floorboard is being used as the cone of the speaker transferring the shaking into an audible signal.

The point is that it tricks your brain into "feeling" the low frequencies. Some people have jumped in my car and they keep on looking for the subwoofer. It feels like an eight or a ten inch woofer. Im totally pleased with the results and Im not looking for the never ending quest to add a subwoofer anymore. Don't get me wrong, you wont feel the sound pressure level of a subwoofer but you will feel the rumbling. I recently changed my car battery for a new one and I have to say this things rock! girls love it! If anything, I would have used a single one per seat. Easier to install and less carpet to cut. I did apply black duck tape on the floorboard to prevent unwanted metal to metal shaking noise. did I say girls love it?
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Eric in Wine Country

Hey guys, thanks for the input and tips. I was checking out my car this weekend and with a couple of cranks of tge manual seat height adjuster there is definitely room for a little active sub under the seat near the rear. Soundsteam makes a little unit that's only 3" tall with a 8" sub so I'm leaning towards that one.

I'm then planning to run the following:

Some TBD double din head unit with GPS
New amp to replace stock amp
Rear speaker kit
TBD high quality speakers to replace stock ones in dash and door

Gotta be better than where I'm at now.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Eric in Wine Country

FYI, here is the sub I'm talking about:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_28031_Soundstream_USB-8A.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison

I'll let y'all know how it works out...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etarasoff View Post
FYI, here is the sub I'm talking about:

Soundstream USB-8A Powered Subwoofers at Onlinecarstereo.com

I'll let y'all know how it works out...
Listen to it first with a similar setup B4 buying. Most under seat subs just sound like poo unless you are willing to spend big $$$.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
Eric in Wine Country

Some of the underseat subs (like that Soundstream) are not that much $ but I did recently learn that Soundstream is no longer high-end gear like it was years ago.

Now leaning towards 8" shallow mount subs in the lower doors (I have the sound package plus so the existing speakers are a 7"+ odd size). Then 4-inch mids on upper door and new tweaters in dash. And the rear speaker package.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etarasoff View Post
Some of the underseat subs (like that Soundstream) are not that much $ but I did recently learn that Soundstream is no longer high-end gear like it was years ago.

Now leaning towards 8" shallow mount subs in the lower doors (I have the sound package plus so the existing speakers are a 7"+ odd size). Then 4-inch mids on upper door and new tweaters in dash. And the rear speaker package.
That is certainly one way to go. Ears are very subjective so it is difficult for one person to make valid recommendations to another. Too many different perspectives. When people hear a sound system that is truly excellent, most listeners agree that it sounds excellent. Given the space limitations and small cabin area in the Boxster, most musicians would choose these over attempting to shoehorn a proper sub enclosure in there: Pro Series | Car Audio Speakers | Mobile Audio Speakers | Full Range Speakers They are not cheap, and they don't sound cheap either.

Trust your ears over marketing hype every time. If it sounds good to you... it is.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #17

I had this made a while back by another member. He has since seemed to fall off the face of the planet.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
Eric in Wine Country

I saw that write-up. You must be the guy who got the 2nd one he referred to in his post? That looks really nice. Were you happy with it?