986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advantages of a 2003 Boxster over previous models? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35089-advantages-2003-boxster-over-previous-models.html)

Vipor3D 04-24-2012 03:55 PM

Advantages of a 2003 Boxster over previous models?

I'm still searching for the right one and I've come across a 2003 Boxster with low miles on it. It is a silver automatic. Is there really any big advantages over that one vs older models or manuals? I know the control difference between manual and automatic, but like with recurring problems in older models? I've strayed away from 97s because I've heard that they had the most problems. I really want a nice, shiny black boxster and I've found some with low miles but are older than the 2003 model. Would it be worth it to get over the color and go for the 03 or is it better for me to spring for the color I want but in an older model?

2003S 04-24-2012 04:01 PM

2003 introduced the glass rear window, which is nice, IMO.

ekam 04-24-2012 04:04 PM

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/modelyeardifferences

ohhh my 04-24-2012 05:05 PM

I have an 03. Starting in 03 you get updated steering wheel, clear headlights, clear tail lights, updated side grill, upgrade front and rear bumpers and i think a few others. I think the 2,000-3,000 dollar difference for an 03-04 is totally worth it

jaykay 04-24-2012 05:36 PM

IMS bearing configuration...I think the 2000 still had the dual row...mine did anyway

fivepointnine 04-24-2012 07:43 PM

2 biggies-glass rear window and GLOVEBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

late '01 got the single row IMS.....dual row is supposed to be stronger

and I think the fiber-optic comms system for the audio system

WhipE350 04-24-2012 07:51 PM

Vipor, will this be a weekend or daily? If this is a weekend and you want black...then get what you want. You won't be happy with a silver if you got your eyes set on black. For a weekend car the glass/plastic thing isn't that big a deal. I thought it would matter to me but in the end plastic is just fine, it can be cleaned up real nice with proper buffing. Do you want automatic?...I would with my back for a daily driver, but for a weekend car I just love the stick!.

Good luck!

fivepointnine 04-24-2012 08:51 PM

I re-read your post.......to me the 03-04 is not THAT much better....I would look at all years and get the color/tranny combo you truly want.

I lucked out and the '02 I bought just had a Robbins glass window top installed....score!

recycledsixtie 04-25-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivepointnine (Post 287764)
I re-read your post.......to me the 03-04 is not THAT much better....I would look at all years and get the color/tranny combo you truly want.

I lucked out and the '02 I bought just had a Robbins glass window top installed....score!

It is up to u on color and year differences. I have a 2001 Boxster base in black. I like the color but it is hard to keep clean. I do prefer it to silver. As regards my plastic rear window, it is actually quite good to see thru even in winter but parked in the garage. Glovebox would be nice but for me not essential. First Box I looked at was a yellow 2000. Could not handle that nor did my wife like it.Color for us is important plus we had to have heated seats and air cond. I opted for man. trans. but understand if you went with tiptronic:)

ProjectM96 04-25-2012 05:49 AM

Lots of people say the glass rear window is an advantage. But I have to disagree. You get half the visibility since the glass window is nearly half the height of the much larger plastic rear window. My rear view mirror shows the entire outside view. With glass rear windows, when you look in your rear view mirror, half of what you see is the fabric top.

The only real advantages in my opinion are the slight increase in power for the 2.7 models and the de-ambered head lights and tail lights.

Automatic is slower, more expensive to fix, and slower.

Johnny Danger 04-25-2012 06:12 AM

In my opinion, the differences between 2000-2004 model years are negligible as compared to finding the boxster that's right for you in terms of condition, maintenance history, color combination, options ect...

Snowman 04-25-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 287785)
In my opinion, the differences between 2000-2004 model years are negligible as compared to finding the boxster that's right for you in terms of condition, maintenance history, color combination, options ect...

+1

You're going to be in the thing every day. Get one you dig, not one that meets some sort of year-to-year update criteria.

That's how I did it anyway. I decided on white, black, or silver - condition over mileage - year unimportant - and then set out to find the best I could within those parameters. Took about a month to locate one, but it was worth the wait. You just have to be patient. I missed a white 99 by one day and a black 03 by hours. It can be frustrating, but you'll find the right one.

ekam 04-25-2012 07:45 AM

Funny nobody mentioned the plastic chop....

Besides, with no glovebox where else am I suppose to store my 1911?

fivepointnine 04-25-2012 07:56 AM

I dont have to do the chop with my Robbins top! My Taurus .40 compact fits in the center compartment.

pothole 04-25-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 287782)
The only real advantages in my opinion are the slight increase in power for the 2.7 models and the de-ambered head lights and tail lights.

I would rate the deamber lights and also the new bumpers as retrograde. They cheapen the look of the 986.

Only advantage for me is the glass rear window and only because it means you can drop the roof when it' cold without worrying about cracking the window. If you live somewhere hot, I'd probably prefer the bigger plastic window.

Jaxonalden 04-25-2012 12:24 PM

Love the glass back window, BTW my Kimber rests nicely in the glovebox.

Ghostrider 310 04-25-2012 12:49 PM

Wow bunch of gangsters. When I choose to travel heated it's on me and ready to go. Nobody knows and when I am in that mode the idea is to lose any argument, back down from any situation; the opposite of bravado.

fivepointnine 04-25-2012 12:52 PM

its uncomfortable to sit on and can possibly damage the seats, hence the reason it goes in the center compartment

Vipor3D 04-25-2012 01:08 PM

I appreciate all the help so far. My ideal Boxster hasn't changed much from what I first wanted. I'm looking for a 98-03 black Boxster that has less that 60k miles, or even lower than 50k. The rear window doesn't mean a whole lot of difference to me. I live in the south so it's pretty warm here in the winter. However, I like the redesigned interior of the 03....not a big deal if I got one that wasn't updated interior. It's still a Porsche Boxster. My biggest delimma is I have to find one for $10k or less. It would also be easier if I could find one located near me so I wouldn't have to pay close to another grand for shipping. Any help here?

AZCanna 04-25-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 287822)
Wow bunch of gangsters. When I choose to travel heated it's on me and ready to go. Nobody knows and when I am in that mode the idea is to lose any argument, back down from any situation; the opposite of bravado.

Amen brother. Been a poster child for responsible gun ownership for 20 years. If I'm holding, I'm ready to use it...but its the last thing I want to do.