986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dying CDR-220 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35054-dying-cdr-220-a.html)

AZCanna 04-22-2012 04:52 PM

Dying CDR-220

I recently posted a question regarding iphone hookups to the cdr-220. In the last few days I had had some intermittent, but getting worse, issues with the flip front of the unit. It seems like it isn't registering that the door is closed so the radio and cd play is wonky at best. For those that know...Is this how they start to go bad, or is this something i can fix with an adjustment here or there?

If it is time to retire the deck, what have others replaced with that doesnt look too out of place and work with the existing amp/speakers.

Small issue to complain about I know, since the water pump, cv boots and ims replacement...the car runs like a wet dream...I just cant bounce around to my tunes like a fool in it now.

thx knowledgable forum readers...your help is appreciated.

ChrisZang 04-22-2012 05:19 PM

retiring the CDR-220 is the FIRST mod that everyone who has one should do :cheers:

Do a search on the forum, you should get many hits with many opinions about replacement options

bar10dah 04-22-2012 06:36 PM

The first few digits of the display on mine are starting to go. Just happened this weekend. The T in Track wasn't visible at all...

Guess I'll be looking at the options out there as well.

AZCanna 04-23-2012 08:41 AM

Gone searchin'

After a ride this morning, the issues are getting worse but I suspect that theyre fixable. Just a loose connection, but I can't figure out where it is, why it is and how to remedy, other than driving with one finger applying pressure to the lower left corner of the unit. Tried all sorts of shims out of folded paper, but that wasnt holding.

I have combed through a bunch of other threads, but all that accomplished was to really muddy the waters with more questions. I don't mind losing the useless cup holders, but don't like the looks of double dins and don't need a nav so single din it is. I've read about how crappy the amp is, but its fine for me...never had any complaints until the head unit started to go. I trust you guys more than some kid at BestBuy or the Car Audio place...Should I replace the amp too while im in there, or will most new had units come with an adapter to utilize the current one?

Help is as always appreciated.

wvboxst3r 04-23-2012 06:26 PM

Depends on year of car. Mine is a 2000 and new head unit plugged right in. Spent less then an hour to change out. Also did new front speakers and added two in rear. Currently have two for doors setting in trunk waiting for a couple of hours to make the switch.

BrokenLinkage 04-23-2012 07:23 PM

Pleased with my 220 so far, but was tempted by some of the Becker upgrade options that would be plug n play. If FM matters to you, no aftermarket unit is likely to match your Becker. BTW new faceplates are available. With addition of Motorola T-605 my old 220 now has automatic Bluetooth cell phone interface plus option for wireless or wired MP3 playback... just food for thought.

irag 04-24-2012 04:24 AM

cr 220

if you're interested I just replaced my CR-220 radio and have it for sale.
look for this heading under parts for sale - 2001 cr 220 radio for sale .. also just removed the cd changer with magazine included, also for sale.