Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
DIY extremist

Bought some cheap(er) sway bar drop links -- thoughts?

Just ordered a set of USA-made Moog brand front drop links for my 2000 Box S to replace my beat up stock parts.

The alignment shop wanted $102 ea. for TRW OEM links with a 1 year warranty. I found some Chinese made hamburg Tecnics on eBay for $25 ea, but heard bad things (plus they had 1 year warranty, not covering the boots).

Even the OE's don't have a very great track record, from reading on the forums, so was about to go with set of Tarrett (sic) engineering adjustable links (a little more pricy than OEM at $275/pair) since I was already going to be spending a bit, but came across these Moog brand links on Rockauto. They were $60 shipped for the pair, and come with a lifetime warranty.

Moog is a very reputable company that is OE on many domestics, and if this were for my Subaru, I wouldn't think twice about using them. I used a NAPA - sourced water pump and gasket that was a literally a fifth of Porsche cost and have had no problems in the 20k hard miles since (not mention their wanting over $1k for install!)

Are these going to make my Porsche slower or more likely to break again due to not being 10x the cost of comparable "normal" car parts?

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I am not familiar with Moog but other low cost Chinese drop links have low cost heim joints that fail and fall apart in no time on our cars. We know that Tarret, TRG, and RSS use quality heim joints that hold up well over time. They also cost more. Sometimes it's a "you get what you pay for" kinda deal. I just want stuff that works and don't care to play "crash test dummy" with unknown critical parts. $200 one way or the other is far less important to me than having a heim joint fail in a critical corner at speed and smacking the wall at 130mph.
YMMV

Last edited by Topless; 04-18-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Garage
Moog was/is a top tier OE suspension parts supplier so I don't think you will have any problems. Moog used to make parts improved to better than OE but I heard Moog was bought by TRW, (I can't keep track anymore)
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Moog was/is a top tier OE suspension parts supplier so I don't think you will have any problems. Moog used to make parts improved to better than OE but I heard Moog was bought by TRW, (I can't keep track anymore)
Federal-Mogul actually. it is hard to keep track. Moog=quality.

onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote