Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Windshield Wipers

I got a 2000 S and my windshield wipers are not working properly. The two main modes are fine but when I switch to the custom mode (with the time interval setting) the wipers will go up, down, and then instead of freezing at the bottom of the windshield, it comes back up a few inches and then freezes. And will continue to do this until I either turn them off or switch back to either of the constant modes. What part do I need replacing?

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

Looks like nobody has responded yet... but I did want to add something. When I go to either the low or high setting (not the intermittent), and then go to turn it off, it will freeze at wherever I turned it off at instead of coming back down.

I think I either need a relay or the combo switch. To me it is sounding more like the relay which is nice because it is much cheaper $70 than the combo switch $285. I just want to know what somebody else thinks.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

if it was an american car i would say its the park/pause switch in the wipermotor module
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

You mean as in the wiper motor park switch? But would that also cause the problem with the intermittent setting too?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

on american cars it can....who know with the cars built by the evil elves of the black forrest
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #6

So what is the equivalent on the boxster?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #7

unless its happened to someone here,you are going to need a repair manual so you can go through the testing. every thing else work on it ....washer etc
Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

I do have the bentley manual but I didn't even think it would mention anything about this. I know what the problem is but I don't know what part needs to be replaced. Yes, everything else is working fine.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

I am still trying to figure out what part I need if anybody wants to give their 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I am still trying to figure out what part I need if anybody wants to give their 2 cents.
Do you know someone in your area who has the Durametric tool? The tool can activate all the controllers in the car so you can isolate what's wrong with the wipers.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #11

I have the durametric but it won't tell me anything about this. It's just an electrical part that isn't working right. I wouldn't expect it to show anything.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

I am thinking about digging this back up and addressing the issue. I am pretty sure that my intermittent wiper relay is bad. I am confused about something though because I keep reading about hacks which are done by replacing the relay with a special one. I figure since I have to replace it anyway, I could justify looking into it. The part that confuses me is that some people are saying that the 2000 Boxster S doesn't have intermittent wipers, but mine does. I have a knob which controls how fast/slow the wiper will complete a cycle (i.e. start to start) when the control is put in the down position. Does this mean that I already have what people are saying they are trying to hack or am I missing something?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #13

Garage
Viper 5, I also have a '00S and I have that same wiper/speed control knob. I've never really messed with it. You might look into how hard something like that would be to swap out. Maybe you could get one cheap at a salvage place like OK foreign (no affiliation).... I'll try to go out and mess with mine at lunch and see if it does the same thing. It sits so much in the garage I can't recall ever driving it in the rain.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #14

Viper5... I recently added a rain sensor to my '03 which included a new wiper relay. I have my old relay sitting around. If you want to try a different relay I can hook you up.
Todd
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #15

That would be awesome! PM sent.

@sean,

I have been reading that the wipers should still function without the relay, however it should behave how mine is now which is why I suspect it is bad.

Last edited by Viper5; 06-16-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha View Post
Viper5... I recently added a rain sensor to my '03 which included a new wiper relay. I have my old relay sitting around. If you want to try a different relay I can hook you up.
Todd
how was easy was this, i would like to do this.. any info would be great.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
how was easy was this, i would like to do this.. any info would be great.
It was pretty darn easy. Just don't make the one major mistake I did!!! I was set on making sure that the sensor was perfectly aligned in the middle of the windshield behind the mirror. I thought the easiest way to do this was to pop the rear view mirror off so that I had plenty of room. I got the rain sensor on perfectly! But when I went to pop the rear view mirror on it took a little more pressure than I expected and I cracked the windshield! Thank God I have full coverage and by law in SC insurance has to replace the windshield free of cost.

Overall, super easy install, just install the sensor without removing the mirror!
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha View Post
It was pretty darn easy. Just don't make the one major mistake I did!!! I was set on making sure that the sensor was perfectly aligned in the middle of the windshield behind the mirror. I thought the easiest way to do this was to pop the rear view mirror off so that I had plenty of room. I got the rain sensor on perfectly! But when I went to pop the rear view mirror on it took a little more pressure than I expected and I cracked the windshield! Thank God I have full coverage and by law in SC insurance has to replace the windshield free of cost.

Overall, super easy install, just install the sensor without removing the mirror!

where did you get parts, I have a 2000 base and there is no switch or hardware. Thanks for info, I really miss this feature it has been on most of my other cars.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #19

I've been considering this, as well

Rain Sensor Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Pelican Parts - Product Information: OEM-99661298100

Just to name two. I'm sure there are other places online.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #20

Curious if Viper5's problem was the relay or not - my car has started exhibiting the exact same problem: Intermittent only wipes once, and the wipers stop mid sweep when exiting continuous mode.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote