986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Keyless Entry Testing? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/34901-keyless-entry-testing.html)

Mrmaddbrad 04-12-2012 08:47 PM

Keyless Entry Testing?

So after buying my 2002 Boxster S, I quickly realized that both keys I was given do not unlock the doors wirelessly although they will unlock the car manually.

Lets list some stuff that does and does not work:
-Both Keys manually unlock the doors
-Both keys will start the car
-The central locking button inside the car unlocks, and locks the car
-When locked, the doors unlock when the handle is pulled on from inside. (but not outside of course)
-The LED on both keys flash.
-Both key batteries are new.
-When started, the ignition switch must be manually clicked back to the second or "run" position (sticks in the "start" or third position), before the accessories in the car work. (AKA Needs an Igniton Switch)
-The driver's side door window "tilt" function does not work.
-And of course, both keys will not lock, unlock, or open either trunk.

Some one come save me :D I don't wont to have to buy a Key if I don't need one. And I can't seem to find a way to test the keys or the receiver in the car. Heck, i can't even find what module actually receives the signal from the key.

Thanks
~Brad

The dude 04-12-2012 09:01 PM

Here is the deal......

The key has a chip in it ( a little pill)... It recognizes the car, so it unlocks and starts the car. The led lights up because the battery and keyless are sending a signal.

It doesn't do anything because it is not synced to the car. Bad news is, if you don't have the code, you need to buy a new key. Another bad thing, the dealer programs them for $125 a key or something silly. Good news is, if you buy 2 keys- bribe them to do both keys for the price of 1. It only takes a few more minutes.

The ignition switch doesn't click back cuz it is broke. This is an easy fix. $20 part or less. Also an Audi or vw part. The ignition switch is itself (tumbler), is fine.

Also, the key blades pop out of the key head, so you can re-use these.

Kenny Boxster 04-12-2012 10:05 PM

A forum member (madmods I think) suggested you can go and get this done cheaper. He had success with finding an indy shop with a PIWIS, and for $50 got the key programmed.

As for me- I tried to call an Indy shop but they quoted $124. Highway robbery IMO, the wireless entry doesn't bother me that much that I will spend 120 clams on it, some folks might disagree. I too have this problem but it is just water under the bridge.

Meir 04-13-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 286354)
A forum member (madmods I think) suggested you can go and get this done cheaper. He had success with finding an indy shop with a PIWIS, and for $50 got the key programmed.

As for me- I tried to call an Indy shop but they quoted $124. Highway robbery IMO, the wireless entry doesn't bother me that much that I will spend 120 clams on it, some folks might disagree. I too have this problem but it is just water under the bridge.

yes, but he lives in China.:D

Jager 04-13-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 286351)
So after buying my 2002 Boxster S, I quickly realized that both keys I was given do not unlock the doors wirelessly although they will unlock the car manually.

Lets list some stuff that does and does not work:
-Both Keys manually unlock the doors
-Both keys will start the car
-The central locking button inside the car unlocks, and locks the car
-When locked, the doors unlock when the handle is pulled on from inside. (but not outside of course)
-The LED on both keys flash.
-Both key batteries are new.
-When started, the ignition switch must be manually clicked back to the second or "run" position (sticks in the "start" or third position), before the accessories in the car work. (AKA Needs an Igniton Switch)
-The driver's side door window "tilt" function does not work.
-And of course, both keys will not lock, unlock, or open either trunk.

Some one come save me :D I don't wont to have to buy a Key if I don't need one. And I can't seem to find a way to test the keys or the receiver in the car. Heck, i can't even find what module actually receives the signal from the key.

Thanks
~Brad

Brad,
Unlock car with key in the door lock, leave the door closed, within a few seconds press the central locking button on the key (I normaly push the button while the key is still in the door lock). See if that fixes your remote key control problem. You will have to do this with both keys.

Overdrive 04-13-2012 06:36 AM

Jäger, is that also a way to quickly reprogram your remote when you have to replace the battery? I'm thinking I may have to replace my battery soon and was wondering what will happen when the remote loses the link to the car once it loses power.

Jager 04-13-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 286383)
Jäger, is that also a way to quickly reprogram your remote when you have to replace the battery? I'm thinking I may have to replace my battery soon and was wondering what will happen when the remote loses the link to the car once it loses power.

This is for 2001 thru 2004 models. For 1997 thru 2000 you unlock the door with the key then put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.

I had to perform this re-sync when reconnecting the car battery after being disconnected for a week. And I have performed this on remotes after replacing the batteries or have not used for a long time.

The keyless entry function is suppose to turn off if the car is not started for five days to prevent the car battery from draining.

Mrmaddbrad 04-13-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 286380)
Brad,
Unlock car with key in the door lock, leave the door closed, within a few seconds press the central locking button on the key (I normaly push the button while the key is still in the door lock). See if that fixes your remote key control problem. You will have to do this with both keys.

Yep, tried that already but sadly didn't work :(.

Since the central locking module is under the driver seat, is it possible to get to it and resync it using the module itself?

Or at least get the 2 key's i already have to be recoded instead of buying new ones?

Jager 04-13-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 286402)
Yep, tried that already but sadly didn't work :(.

Since the central locking module is under the driver seat, is it possible to get to it and resync it using the module itself?

Or at least get the 2 key's i already have to be recoded instead of buying new ones?

Did you try reseting both keys??

Mrmaddbrad 04-13-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 286420)
Did you try reseting both keys??

I have not. But I kind of assumed they both wouldn't work. Ill go try them right now and see what happens...

Tieniber 04-16-2012 09:07 PM

It might be worth talking to the dealer - maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have the key codes stored somewhere.

I got a key programmed for 50 bucks about a year ago at my local dealer - well worth it IMO.

onaFLYer 04-18-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 286484)
I have not. But I kind of assumed they both wouldn't work. Ill go try them right now and see what happens...

Any change? I have the same issue....

Mrmaddbrad 04-18-2012 07:24 PM

Nope no change. And i guess it would be worth calling the dealer and see what they say. I would hate to buy a $400 key just because the one i have doesn't communicate...

However, the other key i have, i noticed has a broken solder. I guess its time to bust out the old soldering iron and see how far it comes lol

bobbyg 11-25-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 287035)
Nope no change. And i guess it would be worth calling the dealer and see what they say. I would hate to buy a $400 key just because the one i have doesn't communicate...

However, the other key i have, i noticed has a broken solder. I guess its time to bust out the old soldering iron and see how far it comes lol

Hi Mrmaddbrad :-)

The issue with the keys you described is exactly like what I got. The key contains no remote control function at all. They are just mini torch lights lol. I just bought my Boxter MY00 and the key I was given does just that and I was wondering why it wouldn't unlock/lock my car until I opened the key and found nothing but a battery and a lamp. So, unluckily, I guess you're right, we have to buy a proper key :-).

thom4782 11-25-2012 05:27 AM

Three thoughts for consideration...

If you know the dealer that sold the car originally, it may have the necessary codes on file. If they decide to be nice, they may give them to you for future reference. I think there are two codes - 1 for the car and 1 for the key. If I'm right, one needs both to program a key for the car.

Many independent shops have computers that can reprogram the keys. My local indie had an Autologic computer and reprogrammed two keys for me for minimal bucks.

You can buy key parts individually. When mine failed due to aging of the electronics, I purchased two key heads (the electronics and covers) and put the old key blades into them. Each key head came with its own code. The dealer was kind enough to tell the independent the other code. Replacing the head only saved a lot of money.