986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Valet key? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/34880-valet-key.html)

msk914 04-11-2012 10:40 AM

Valet key?

I have a Boxster (987) and I've been bothered that there is no way to lock the glovebox with a different key than the ignition key. So when I give the car to a garage, there is no way to lock the glovebox with a different key and protect anything valuable. I looked in the archives here, and I talked to my buddy who has a new 987 (and has had 3 boxsters total) and he is equally surprised.

Are we missing something? Did the cars come with valet keys which are never mentioned or we both missed?

thanks,

Mark

Overdrive 04-11-2012 12:39 PM

I believe starting with 2000 or thereabouts, there was the option to have a valet key, however it's likely many people did not opt for them because of how expensive the keys are for this car. You have a 987, so this definitely should be an option for you (check your manual to be sure), and would require a trip to a delaer to have one made (sorry, no way around this one and its cost). Be prepared to pay up to a couple hundred dollars in parts and labor to have the key made an programmed, which I would say is worth it to secure your belongings and keep your trunks and glovebox unavailable to those who have no business in them.

jaykay 04-11-2012 12:51 PM

I have a valet key for my 2000 S. I don't recall where it fits. It has just a straight plastic end with no electronic functions

Eric G 04-11-2012 12:54 PM

When I got my 98, I got three keys: 2 with fobs and a valet key which protects the HUGE storage area under my right arm. Laughed about that for awhile, but they had them in 98 as well.

Aron in Toronto 04-12-2012 02:59 AM

My '97 has a valet key also, so they've been around from the start. Can't say I've ever used it though.

Overdrive 04-12-2012 06:47 AM

Now that's interesting, because when I talked to my local dealer they said the early cars did not have this valet key feature and they could only make me another master key. So I bought the plain little plastic key head that has absolutely no features and is about the size of a Chiclet, and it's basically my spare key without the remote functions.

Granted, yeah, I've only got that little glovebox to secure inside, but I believe the valet key also keeps the plunger active to disable the trunk lid release handles/buttons in the car and keep people out of your trunks.

Can one of you valet key owners confirm this?

msk914 04-12-2012 07:20 AM

I confirmed by reading another forum (and my manual, which has no mention of it) that valet key was discontinued in 2008. thanks everyone. And the 'valet key' in earlier years was not what I was interested in: It was a use-occasionally plastic key (after 2000 I think, metal before) which opened everything. I am interested in a key which starts the car and does nothing else, like open the locked glovebox. Oh well. Anyone have a glovebox for sale with key? :)

Mark

Aron in Toronto 04-12-2012 01:40 PM

Yep, I just checked, the small black key w/o remote functions that I referred to as the valet key, does in fact unlock the center console storage compartment, as well as the drivers door (my '97 has no key cylinder in the pass door) and the front and rear trunks are not lockable when the driver's door is open. So it doesn't really offer any extra security when handed over to the valet.

Overdrive 04-13-2012 05:54 AM

I guess it's just another spare key then, Aron. I could have sworn there was an actual valet key, though...I thought I remember reading about it, and in order for it to be anything useful it would have to only unlock and start the car, and be unable to open the glovebox, as well as make the trunks inaccessible via the handles in the driver's door jamb...

dbeesley1 04-18-2012 08:44 AM

I only have 1 electronic key for my 98 boxster (bought the car that way). I do not use the remote locking/alarm right now as there is a problem with one of the doors (drivers door). It does lock if I physically lock it myself though.

My question revolves around getting a second key that is capable of starting the car and just wanted to confirm whether a valet key can or cannot start the car. Would the valet key unlock and start the car if the alarm had not been set?

I'd consider never using the alarm if it allowed me to save $200 on a valet key instead of the full remote locking key as a backup. It's a luxury for me that comes after new shocks, suspension and pay rise.