986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt - so easy a noob can do it (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/34625-serpentine-belt-so-easy-noob-can-do.html)

jrcui 03-28-2012 12:11 PM

Serpentine Belt - so easy a noob can do it

I just wanted to encourage the mechanically challenged like myself to tackle the simple maintenance projects like changing the serpentine belt. The two biggest mistakes I made were buying the belt from the dealer ($55.00) and not checking the clearance for my 3/8 socket wrench (I bought a 24mm socket for a 1/2 wrench and the attachment so I could use it on my 3/8 wrench but there wasn't enough clearance to use them). I had to run to Sears and buy a 1/2 socket wrench, which was probably better because I had better leverage.

For the noobs like me, there are a ton of threads plus Youtube videos on how to do this. Plus I used Wayne's guide on the Pelicanparts site as a reference. Once you get access the from behind the seats, the whole procedure took less than 5 minutes.

So, if you want a little satisfaction of doing your own maintenance, this is one of those jobs a noob could easily do:dance:.

AndyA6 03-28-2012 12:49 PM

Agreed! Easy to do and with the money you save you should have put on an underdriv pulley, just sayin'!

thstone 03-28-2012 01:17 PM

I have been putting off installing an underdrive pulley just becasuse I wasn't sure about replacing the S-belt myself. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about! Thanks.

jrcui 03-28-2012 04:27 PM

Underpulley is on my list of things to upgrade, but saving for new wheels first. I have the stock 16" ones. The only concern about doing the underpulley is the "cutting" I've read about.

thstone 03-28-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrcui (Post 284327)
Underpulley is on my list of things to upgrade, but saving for new wheels first. I have the stock 16" ones. The only concern about doing the underpulley is the "cutting" I've read about.

Cutting? Please explain...

ChrisZang 03-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 284359)
Cutting? Please explain...

Do a bit of search for DIY
Basically you need to cut a boss off the engine block
It's a pita due to the small room you'll have to operate in

Ghostrider 310 03-28-2012 10:37 PM

The underpulley cut is easy as pie, the case cuts like butter, the key is not to destroy the piece being trimmed as it is used in some engine repairs. A trim can be made that accommodates the new pulley and preserves the threaded hold. As long as you're there press out the bearings in the rollers, they can be replaced at Napa knowhow cheap and pressed back in.

99 Boxcutter 06-08-2012 10:24 AM

What's so good about the underpully?

Ghostrider 310 06-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Boxcutter (Post 293297)

Harder bilateral pull on the glenoid fossa for minimal dollars spent and a three hours of your time.

thstone 06-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Boxcutter (Post 293297)

The underdrive pulley turns the engine accessories (power steering, a/c, etc) at a lower speed than the regular size pulley. This reduces the wear on those items and adds back a little bit of power that would otherwise be lost.