Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Is there a difference between the Acoustic tops vs the regular

Im shopping for a new top with a glass window and was wondering what the big difference is between the regular A5 top vs A5 Acoustic top. Most likely purchasing from Auto Tops Direct and my OEM top is a Metropol Blue and they only have the acoustic top in black and I was wondering if theres a big enough difference for me to change colors of the top?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

The acoustic top is a little more quite, so +1 here
HOWEVER: Due to the extra thickness, it will be harder to close the top, meaning you will need to pull down the top manually the last 1/3 of an inch (sorry you're Candian, I meant the last centimeter) so that the latch mechanism grabs, at least that's how it turned out with my A5 acoustic top from Auto Tops Direct
My installer (who installed more than 100 Boxster tops) went through several cycles of trying to adjust it and either it looked bad (slacked) or it needed some manual help
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

The GAHH acoustic top is great. Night and day better than the OEM top.

I would not even consider getting an top that didn't have the acoustic material.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Garage
The acoustical top sounds like a good choice over the regular; when it comes time to replace my top I plan on replacing it with just that.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

Garage
+1 for the acoustic fabric. When I replaced my stock top with a glass window, A5 fabric top, it made a huge difference in cabin wind noise.

Like ChrisZang mentioned, I did have to "help" my top the last bit to get the latch mechanism to connect. However, a year later the fabric has stretched and "help" is no longer required. I can latch it just like my factory top with no slack when fastened.
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Huh. I have to pull down on my roof (OEM) the last little bit. Not sure if it's the acoustic version or not (if it was a factory option anyway).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
2001 RUF 3800S

sounds like its a no brainer, i just would hate to change the color of the top
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
2001 RUF 3800S

Done deal just bought the acoustic top with glass in black. 550 with shipping, cant go wrong!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #9

Wow which one did you go with?

Let us know how it goes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #10

I got a chance to drive a non-acoustic glass top boxster and compare it to mine (I have a gahh acoustic top paid by insurance)

There is not much difference, both acoustic and non acoustic tops are much better then OEM that I had (on a 2000 base), the only difference I felt in between two tops was that acoustic one (mine) was much harder to latch.

I think that even non acoustic labeled material is still made with sound-proofing.

Now.. a glass window is a must! you will get used to smaller window fast and engine access is a pain that shouldn't come up too often.. but possibility to lower you top when the sun just came in in spring for a couple of hours.. PRICELESS!

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I see you already pulled the trigger on a new top, but I figured I'd weigh in as a glass top owner.

I enjoy the (non-acoustic fabric) glass top I have and can deal with the compromises. If I were in your situation I would stick with keeping the original (and sometimes hard to come by) blue color to the top to match the interior. I don't think the material would make much difference, as the replacement I got was already quieter than my original, so you wouldn't be losing out on anything by getting it. As others have stated, there is not a significant difference in the sound between the two tops, which is the claim.

Either way, congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new top. You won't be disappointed.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
2001 RUF 3800S

I got the top from auto top direct.

As for my reasoning in getting the acoustic one which only comes in black was for one I hate annoying noises inside or outside, anything to minimize noise will satisfy me and didn't want any regrets. Second with my original blue top my body color never really stood out so I figured with the black top the purple would stand out more. Also for some reason those color tops look old and maybe the black would give it a little face lift. But hey that's just me.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #13

I put a new GAHH top on mine with a glass window. Since my S has a headliner, I did not need an acoustic version of this top.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote