Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Want to keep repair costs down next 2 years. Tips, suggestions appreciated

I own an 01 S 6 speed. Got the LN IMS upgrade done last year. Was a CPO when I bought it 3 years ago. Warranty is now gone. 69,700 miles at the moment. Thing is in great shape. I am in the middle of trying to buy a beach cottage right now and with a son in college as well things are gonna be a little tight for the next 2 years. If something were to go on the Boxster I might not be able to swing anything expensive. I don't plan on letting the car just sit there in the garage and languish over the next 2 years, I will drive it as necessary but I am trying to........"preserve" it as best as possible in attempt to keep any expensive repairs at bay for the next couple years. Any suggestions on how I might be able to accomplish this ? I mean other than the obvious, keeping up with the fluids and such and driving it at warm temp and pushing it a little. Is this an impossibility or.......

I plan on keep her for a looooong time.

Seems like there have been more than a few new owners coming on here lately. Congrats to all of them on Boxster ownership.

I ALWAYS appreciate the knowledge and opinions given on this board.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.

Last edited by jdiba; 03-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

My first rule of thumb is to keep up with your fluids....oil, gearbox, brake, clutch, coolant.

Second rule of thumb....Drive the car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Garage
The issue regarding IMS failure seems to be the greatest concern . However, now that you've ruled that out, can't imagine anything beyond routine maintenance and typical wear and tear items being a major worry . Just drive it like a man in a leather jumpsuit is hot on your trail !
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My first rule of thumb is to keep up with your fluids....oil, gearbox, brake, clutch, coolant.

Second rule of thumb....Drive the car!
+1 No worries mate! Rallycross is probably out though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcC4trhKbZQ

Last edited by Topless; 03-20-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Want to keep repair costs down next 2 years. Tips, suggestions appreciated

Buy a Honda?

I did have to do an axle and wheel bearing, and had some electrical gremlins (battery/ignition switches). But other than that, the Boxster has been pretty good to me. And, the ignition switch is relatively an inexpensive fixes. My Honda needs a wheel bearing too - so that is just a mileage thing (although the Honda has 2x the miles). I've run the Boxster about 50K miles over the past 4 years as a DD.

Drive it. Just breath normal.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 03-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #6

My 2 cents:
Don't give into fear suck. By that I mean don't read post that are describing others' problems and feel that your car is doing the same. Kind of like reading on health issue symptoms on the internet. I could swear I feel all the symptoms for all the diseases!!

Don't fix what is not broken. But, don't skimp on preventive maintenance either.

Do the work yourself. Sometimes a $20 part requires a $500 labor.

Try used parts or rebuilt which cost less.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

jdiba, I truly understand where you are at, if my car were to break in the next couple years it would have to be covered and kept for a better financial repair day. Having said that, living in that mindset whether about an impending car repair, health failure or job loss doesn't do anything to prevent the issue. In fact a good argument can be made that what we obsess about we call into play ourselves.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #8

Oh boy is this an easy question.....DON"T DRIVE IT.:dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote