Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Mysterious box in frunk

Could someone advise what is the black electronic component mounted directly behind the spare tire in the frunk? I suspect it's either the computer or radio amplifier.

jerry430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

It's the amplifier for the radio.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks. I just bought the car a few weeks ago, and noticed that the (now identified) amplifier wasn't bolted in securely. The aftermarket radio sounds absolutely terrible. The door speakers don't even appear to be connected.

Looks like I have some work to do.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

jerry430
Let me know what you find. I have a similar problem with my 01. I have an aftermarket radio and only the dash speakers are working. No sound from the door speakers. Busy working on other parts of the car and just have not had a chance to investigate.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Garage
Guys, keep in mind the stock door speakers aren't traditional full range speakers. They are low frequency woofers - even when functioning, they don't seem to make much sound because low freq is fairly non-directional - you can't tell it's coming from there...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #6

2003S
Based on the way the amplifier is secured in the frunk (the securing bolts aren't screwed in) I suspect it isn't working and the aftermarket radio was wired around it.
If I install a new aftermarket radio and bypass the amp, do you know if I can wire the door speakers (woofers) like regular speakers, i.e., wire them to the LR and RR speaker wires?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
If I install a new aftermarket radio and bypass the amp, do you know if I can wire the door speakers (woofers) like regular speakers, i.e., wire them to the LR and RR speaker wires?
Wiring the speakers in the Boxster like regular speakers will not sound good. If it sounds terrible now, I'm guessing it's not because of a poor HU, but rather the wiring. What year is your Boxster? Different radio/amplifier setups between the years.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #8

Garage
Yeah, I'd agree; I haven't dug much into the specs of that amplifier, but I'd guess it has a built in crossover that keeps the higher frequencies from going to the door speakers. Plugging them directly into an aftermarket HU might make them sound horrible;

However, I'd probably give it a try, you don't have much to lose; Keep the power low, and I doubt you'd blow them out in a test.

+1 on checking out all of the wiring, though.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

It's a 2000 Boxster. There are about 10 wires going into the amp and another 10 coming out. I can't even get the aftermarket radio out, so I don't if I'll be able to wire a new radio directly to the speakers. Nothing's easy!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

OK well you're in luck in that it's a pre-2003 so you don't have to deal with MOST (fiber optic system). If you google around (or search the forum) you should be able to find how-to's with wiring diagrams, etc. on how the HU / amplifier should be wired so if I were you I'd redo wiring before spending $$$'s on anything else.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Bypassing amp

I have one of the door panels off now to replace the window regulator. I'm thinking about replacing the woofer with a regular 5" speaker - same with the other side - and wiring them as rear speakers. I would bypass the amp, since I don't think it works anyway.
Has anyone done this?