Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #21

Have a look on team dynamics web site, or Rimstock as they are over here

Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #22

11kg = 24.25lbs

So far its O.Z. Alleggerita with 17.4 for the front and 20.4 for the back in 18"

I was really hoping to find 17" to save even more on weight.
BTEMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Pat

Splitpin- Can you please post a photo showing the offset of your wheels, as well as the offset number? I'll soon be ordering F14s with custom offsets and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want them to be.
BTEMY- I believe a set of Forgestar F14s are lighter than a set of Alleggeritas.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Splitpin- Can you please post a photo showing the offset of your wheels, as well as the offset number? I'll soon be ordering F14s with custom offsets and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want them to be.
BTEMY- I believe a set of Forgestar F14s are lighter than a set of Alleggeritas.
How much per wheel?

Anybody used them yet?
BTEMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Pat

Plenty of people have used them to good effect. Look on Planet 9 and Sixspeedonline.
Forgestar F14 Wheels for Porsche 18"
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #26

I think you can get a set of custom CCW wheels in boxster fitment in that weight range in 17". Their 18x12 size weighs 21 lbs so I'm sure the 17x9/10 sizes will weigh much less. Around $2500 for a set.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #27

If my digital bathroom scale is accurate and Tirerack is right in saying a Mich PS2 18x9 is 25lb, then a Fikse profil 5 18x9 is 17lb. The same scale says my stock twist wheels are in the low 20s although I was told they would be 30+.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTEMY View Post
nope, around 18lbs for 17" they are not light at all.
? That is pretty light.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post

18x8.5 front et52
18x10 rear et45

225/40/18 Fronts

265/35/18 Rears
But be aware rim width is measured to the inner edge of the rim where the tyre mounts, so different makes can have thicker rim walls and foul.

My rears sit 4mm from the struts and the fronts have loads of room.

Last edited by Splitpin; 02-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #30

About a year ago, GRM magazine did a test to confirm that a light weight wheel and tire improved times on an auto-x course. They used a Miata for the test, and found that the heavier weight wheel was actually faster!

After examining the data, it was apparent that the heavier wheel was faster just because that wheel/tire combination was just a bit smaller diameter, and thereby lowered the effective gearing and improved acceleration. Just a fraction of an inch less diameter completely over-rode the weight effects of a heavy wheel.

So, you should probably look at the whole package of resulting wheel / tire diameter, sidewall stiffness, etc. rather than being overly concerned about the last ounce of wheel weight.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #31

Hi,

our monobloc cast wheels weights in 8,5 x 19 offset45 21,5lbs and in 10,0 x 19 offset 40 23,8lbs, Made in Germany, german TÜV-Approved and a set here in germany costs about 1.200,-Euro in different finishes (matte titanium, matte black/front polish and matte black/red ring)... i´m very interesting for, if you become in USA similar (design, wheel weights ) wheels?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Wait wait wait.... Did you just say you want a 17" wheel that weighs 14 lbs??? I hope you know how ridiculous that is.... Especially an 8.5 inch wide 17" wheel....
You do realise that some manufacturers are already doing 'modern' 19" that weight less than 7.5 killos right? (+/-15lbs)

Below would be one of them. Clearly not a good news for all the cast fat-round wheels manufacturers e.g. porsche oem wheels. Today, I'd say there is nothing more heavy than original porsche wheels! My 19" on my MY97 are few grams lighter than the original fugly 17" twist things that comes with car

I pass all the other that we know already about that makes carbon fiber / magnesium wheels, ect...

Below is a 13lbs 18" wheels for instance

Leaving out the 20+ other worldwide custom shops who does team wheels on a need basis

Last edited by madmods; 02-24-2012 at 04:05 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #33

Garage
Dymag no longer produces wheels for automobiles . At one point, Oakley Design took over the rights to produce their wheels . But, they have since ceased production as well . Not long ago Oakley and HRE collaborated on the technology, however, that relationship was short lived .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 02-25-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Dymag no longer produces wheels for automobiles . At point, Oakley Design took over the rights to produce their designs. But, they have since ceased production as well . Not long ago Oakley and HRE collaborated on the technology, however, that relationship was short lived .
Problem is there's only a handful of drivers who can take full advantage of those superlight thing. besides, this is not really for street use. Unless of course your municipality/city have a refund policy if you hit holes and blow-up a wheel ($$$$ each)

I did 3 test laps on a TurboS rolling on custom made 18s CF/Mag wheels and something is completely 'wrong' there (lolll) ... feels very different at the very first corner. Personally, I wouldn't be able to take full control of those superlight wheels, a pro maybe! Go-kart steering kind of thing, car front flipping up easy etc......

eBay Porsche wheels rocks mate. Heavy, strong, so masculine, with an oriental flavor to them, yeaaa!
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #35
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
About a year ago, GRM magazine did a test to confirm that a light weight wheel and tire improved times on an auto-x course. They used a Miata for the test, and found that the heavier weight wheel was actually faster!

After examining the data, it was apparent that the heavier wheel was faster just because that wheel/tire combination was just a bit smaller diameter, and thereby lowered the effective gearing and improved acceleration. Just a fraction of an inch less diameter completely over-rode the weight effects of a heavy wheel.

So, you should probably look at the whole package of resulting wheel / tire diameter, sidewall stiffness, etc. rather than being overly concerned about the last ounce of wheel weight.
I agree with your conclusions Doug. What a goofy test though. If you want to test the advantages of lighter wheels you must start with identical wheel and tire sizes and diameters.

Bottom line: You can find quality 17" Porsche takeoff 17 x 8.5 wheels that weigh 21 lbs for around $125ea on CL or you can buy ultra lightweight (18lb) racing wheels for $2500 ea. Shaving 12lbs of unsprung weight might buy you 2/10sec per lap. Are there more efficient ways to spend your $10k that will yield higher performance? Adding a 3.8L motor (2-3sec)? Professional coaching by Andy Lally (8sec)? Tires (5sec)? Suspension (2sec)? The low hanging fruit is always the driver, not the wheels.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #36

That is something to think about
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I agree with your conclusions Doug. What a goofy test though. If you want to test the advantages of lighter wheels you must start with identical wheel and tire sizes and diameters.

Bottom line: You can find quality 17" Porsche takeoff 17 x 8.5 wheels that weigh 21 lbs for around $125ea on CL or you can buy ultra lightweight (18lb) racing wheels for $2500 ea. Shaving 12lbs of unsprung weight might buy you 2/10sec per lap. Are there more efficient ways to spend your $10k that will yield higher performance? Adding a 3.8L motor (2-3sec)? Professional coaching by Andy Lally (8sec)? Tires (5sec)? Suspension (2sec)? The low hanging fruit is always the driver, not the wheels.
People always overlook their driving skills.... Like instead of thinking that each lap wasn't fast enough so they make their car faster, they should just keep driving and going to driving schools...

And as previously stated, the difference between a 18 and 14lb wheel is not that noticable... If you're trying to be faster, when it comes to wheels, go smaller....

Driver before car... Driver. IMPROVE YOUR DRIVING! GO FORTH!!!
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #38

WheelWeights.net - Database of Wheel Weights
Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #39
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
This database is awesome!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #40

according to that list the stock 17's are pretty dang light for factory wheels!

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote