Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Ex Esso kid

Clear Shield

Do any of you guys have it? I just saw the service records and my car does. Has anyone run a porter cable over said product? Also, nitrogen filled tires, can they be topped off with compressed air?

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

I have the 3m clear bra on my car, I do not run the Porter buffer on it. Just FYI: I just had it replaced becaquse of the deer incident and it cost $750.00 to replace.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Brock did you replace it because you had a good experience with it to that point?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

the insurance covered it. They didn't even question it. and I found out that it is on the lights as well. The auto body people had a hard time finding the shop that did that kind of work. they also took their time on it . If the insurance hadn't covered it, I would have definently got it anyway. No stone chips.
'05 Sportster
Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

I am puzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Do any of you guys have it? I just saw the service records and my car does. Has anyone run a porter cable over said product? Also, nitrogen filled tires, can they be topped off with compressed air?

Your quote says you " saw the service records" and discovered your car "has it."

Then brock says he has a 3M bra on his car that he replaced... are you calling a 'Clear Bra" a " Clear Shield?" if so I can't understand how you didn't know it was there.

On the other hand if the clear shield is some sort of spray on aftermarket paint protection then I understand how you wouldn't know it was there.

Yes you can add plain old air to nitrogen filled tires but it defeats the purpose of using nitrogen in the first place.

J T
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

I have a typical 3m clear bra 24 inches up the hood, the entire front bumper, the side mirrors, the windshield frame, the lip around the wheel wells and a patch behind the rear wheels along with the headlights and fog lights.
I do this on all my vehicles. Otherwise the entire leading edge of the car gets pitted with stone chips because of the gravel they throw out on the roads out here in Colorado.
This treatment keeps them looking new, and only cost around $400. Now if they could only do that to protect your windshield...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #7

To be honest, I don't know what you call it. Bra, shield, what's the diff? I super thin piece of plastic held on by some sticky stuff. I bought the car used. It came with the car. No other car I've purchased in the past has had it, nor was it offered as an option...
Ghostrider bought the car from Texas and didn't see it in person. Just found out he had it. A nice little bonus if you ask me.
'05 Sportster
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Brock got it, I also learned the PO changed the oil every 1000 miles of 3700 miles, made me hope it wasn't his track toy. Dealer says he was just an extra anal owner, it just had a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer which I consider a huge plus.