986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   In need of help (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/33865-need-help.html)

wvboxst3r 02-15-2012 05:02 AM

In need of help

I have a funny smell from mainly drivers side rear wheel area. The smell is in the area and lingers for a minute or two after running. I have not just started car and left it idling but will try that today. When I stop and get out I smell it. The smell is on passangers side just about half as strong.

Now the smell- odd, light, mix of maybe oil and plastic, with a hint of antifreeze.(one I have never smelled)

Info on car - recently over 3000 miles ago oil change, heater hoses changed, some seals and gaskets replaced. I will look for that invoice and list parts. Odometer is at 58000, it is a TIP, base, 2000. No leaks that I can see. No oil and antifreeze mixing both are clear. No loss of either. Put hand over oil fill with car running just a slight pull but nothing like a vacuum. No noticed transmission issues, slip, grind anything. CV boots look fairly new, no leakage.

Where do I look?

wvboxst3r 02-15-2012 05:22 AM

found invoice work done about 3000 miles ago- "Replaced both timing adjusters, oil dipstick tube,1 heater hose, spark plug tubes and seals- replaced intermediate shaft, leaking oil- replaced oil seperator for smoking on starts per tsb" This is word for word off of invoice.

Parts are 6 cyl head cups, 2 adjuster-cam ($946.52 each), 2 seals, upper dip stick tube, heater hose, oil seperator, vent hose, 12 sp tube seals, 6 spark plug tube, intermediate shaft and seal( $112.21), oil filter, 9 syn oil, 1.5 anti freeze coolant 2.6, hydralic fluid.

parts-$2520.59 labor-$1995.20 total-$ 4515.79

MileHighBoxster 02-15-2012 06:29 AM

Sounds like someone will have to open her up and look at the engine compartment for drips or leaks - above and below. No way to guess online. I would start around the oil filler tube and the other repairs you recently had done and move out from there.

madmods 02-15-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvboxst3r (Post 278236)
Where do I look?

Everywhere for now.. put your top in service mode, remove the speakers/luggage thing, remove carpet behind/under the rollbar, twist the 4 huge black screws 50% counterclockwise, pull up the top panel, and have a look in there and around the engine quickly.

Mate, I hate to say this but someone came up to me beginning of the winter to tell me the same thing... smell this, never smelled before, blah. Took him 2 days to finally open the thing up and check... to find a dead (domestic) animal in the engine compartment apparently :(

Luck with everything there

thstone 02-15-2012 08:41 AM

Has the smell been constant since you had the repairs or just recently happening?

Beelzy 02-15-2012 08:49 AM

That "smell" could be normal. Mine has that certain "ran hard and put away wet" smell when I drive the car hard.

You may be just smelling the engine cooling off via the side vents.

wvboxst3r 02-15-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods (Post 278253)
Everywhere for now.. put your top in service mode, remove the speakers/luggage thing, remove carpet behind/under the rollbar, twist the 4 huge black screws 50% counterclockwise, pull up the top panel, and have a look in there and around the engine quickly.

Mate, I hate to say this but someone came up to me beginning of the winter to tell me the same thing... smell this, never smelled before, blah. Took him 2 days to finally open the thing up and check... to find a dead (domestic) animal in the engine compartment apparently :(

Luck with everything there

almost sure not dead animal. smell is not bad just odd and very light, I have looked under qnd around the engine. Took top cover off and looked around. First look at the engine. No leaks

wvboxst3r 02-15-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 278255)
Has the smell been constant since you had the repairs or just recently happening?

It has been since I purchased car. I have put all but about100 miles on car so I am not sure of before

Dave S. 02-15-2012 02:32 PM

My car has a similar smell sometimes. Seems to get more noticable if I've been slowly idling around the neighborhood. More of a hot smell than anything else. Stronger near the driver's side rear wheel area. I've had my car checked out by the local Porsche dealer and everything is found to be normal, in fact he said my engine is one of the cleanest he's ever seen.

I just assume it's a normal Boxster smell now and don't worry about it.

wvboxst3r 02-15-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks Dave, I really hope that is it. It just weird for it to be a normal smell. I have been recently listening and watching everything so close. Is there anything in rear-end, transmission,etc... that could cause this.

I hear a sound that could be, no but I am fishing here. I have never driven a Porsche before so sounds are all new to me. Anyone local to Charleston,WV or Myrtle Beach,SC. I mainly live in WV but spend a lot of time in SC. Will be there in couple weeks for about two weeks. I would love to take someone for a ride and maybe go for one in your car. Just to hear/ feel any difference.

WhipE350 02-15-2012 08:28 PM

I remember when I got my car it took a little while to get used to the faint odor the catalytic converters give off. You know though I'm not sure I smell it anymore, well I donno, I'll have to see next time I drive.