986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Problem with Garage Opener in Homelink? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3347-problem-garage-opener-homelink.html)

Rail26 08-05-2005 10:43 AM

Problem with Garage Opener in Homelink?

Has anybody had problems with programming there garage door opener in the homelink system? I did it exactly by the owners manual and thought it would have worked, but it doesn't. I got all the correct indications (blinking lights and whatnot). Any help would be appreciated!

Kevlar986 08-05-2005 12:25 PM

I have one in my Audi and just got a a new rolling code door. I cleared the old codes by pressing 1 and 3 for 20 sec then held the remote up to it and press the remote and the number that you want to program. Then pressed the "learn button" on the unit itself and then pressed the same button on the homelink and voila it worked. Not sure if it's the same direction as P-car but my Audi manual instructions were terrible!!!

hope it helps

2001 Boxster seal grey/bk/bk Nak cd400/racing red calipers

John Y 05-17-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
Has anybody had problems with programming there garage door opener in the homelink system? I did it exactly by the owners manual and thought it would have worked, but it doesn't. I got all the correct indications (blinking lights and whatnot). Any help would be appreciated!

bump: Rail, did you ever figure this out? I had the exact same problem on my '07 - got the fogs blinking and everything, but it just wouldn't work; I tried the generic instructions on the Homelink site too, but that didn't work.

1JB 05-18-2007 04:50 AM

Be sure to have the car turned on. Homelink on the car doesn't work otherwise. Took me 1/2 an hour to figure that out. Then you have to follow the instructions for your garage door opener if it has a rolling code along with the Boxster instructions. If you don't have the instructions for your opener do a search on the net and you will probably find them or a number to call. Even following them it may take several attempts.

ejmc11 05-19-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Y
bump: Rail, did you ever figure this out? I had the exact same problem on my '07 - got the fogs blinking and everything, but it just wouldn't work; I tried the generic instructions on the Homelink site too, but that didn't work.

I *finally* got Homelink to work properly with my new 987. I wasn't even getting the foglights to blink.. turns out I have to switch my garage door remote's switch to 390mhz (default is 315), and just patiently keep the button pressed while moving it around the front bumper til it FINALLY flashed.

If you got the fogs to flash, and it still doesn't work, it's because you have one more step to complete -- your garage door opener uses a "rolling code" system, so you have to sync your car to the garage door base now. To do so, you go and press the "Learn" button on the garage door base (that's how it's labeled on the Genie system here), then within 30 seconds, go back into the boxster, and press and hold the homelink button you just programmed a few times (hold it each time for about 1-2 seconds; more than 20 seconds and it will reset your boxster's homelink button!). It took about 3 or 4 presses of 1-2 seconds each, then magically the garage door closed. And tada, it was programmed!

Note that the car must have the key in the ignition, and turned to the On position (but the car does NOT necessarily have to be running, at least not on the 987).

Seems like a small thing, but it's such a convenience to not have to open the glovebox and get the remote out and push the button, then put it back in and close it up.

Let me know if any of the above isn't clear!

Cheers,

Emmanuel