Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Boxster S Bassist

Convertible top maintenance?

I just bought my 2000 Boxster S and the top is in decent shape and opens and closes well. I will be cleaning and protecting it soon with the appropriate products but wanted to know is there any other maintenance to do such as lubricating hinges, latch, etc? Or will that just goop things up? Thanks! JB

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Inspect the cables, especially the ends, they can break and cause timing problems or worse.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

For your top, buy the Ragg Topp kit for fabric, not vinyl. Includes both the cleaner and protectant. Once treated, never use soap for cleaning. Only water and the tape roller (for lint/dust).

Redo evey other year, depending on driving and exposure (sun mainly). If the top stops beading water, it needs to be retreated.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

I prefer 303 fabric protectant, you can get it on Amazon or boating stores, works much much better than ragg-topp from my experience on our Saab
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
I prefer 303 fabric protectant, you can get it on Amazon or boating stores, works much much better than ragg-topp from my experience on our Saab
303 makes good products. Their Aerospace Protectant is great for vinyl and plastic trim, and tire dressing. I am not familiar with their fabric/top protectant.

Our cars left the factory with the Ragg Topp product on them. FYI.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

+1 on 303

I've used 303 products for 3 years and my black top looks like new.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

I vote for RaggTop!
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #8

Flavor and Normin said it. Clean it with Raggtopp cleaner and once dry, use Raggtopp protectant. They work great - and they're made for that purpose exclusively. The cleaner will last a long time. I get 3 "protectant" applications for the Boxster.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

+1

Misc Items: Ragg Top (Cleaner & Protectant Set)
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #10

In 6 driving seasons, and 47,000 miles, my cocoa top looks better than the day I picked her up at the dealership. A couple Concours wins too. Ragg Topp has been great.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #11

yeah do the following:

Buy an OXO feather tip brush ($20) or a boars hair brush (pricey). Only use the that brush to clean the top. Don't use that brush for anything else.

Don't put any type of car wash soap on the top. It attracts dust which will get into the threads and cause them to fray when the top is stretched.

As the other poster suggested use Raggtopp Cleanser on the top with the OXO brush. Rinse it with a powerful stream thoroughly. Dry it thourough with a microfiber type towel, good for picking up lint and very water absorbent.

Once dry, use Raggtopp Protectant to "scoth guard" the top. It repels water beautifully. You might want to do this before washing the rest of the car since you'll probably get overspray onto the paint.

For the plastic window use Plexus spray often. Both sides. DO NOT use a microfber towel for this it will scratch the plastic. Use an old t-shirt. The Plexus keeps the plastic from becoming brittle or yellowing. You can keep a plastic window crystal clear for a decade this way.

DO NOT lower the top without warming up the cabin if the outside temp is below 60-65.
And make sure you are warming up the cabin while the car is moving and not stationary. Pull over and lower the top.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-20-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Garage
I've been using the Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant with good results.

I've used the cleaner about every fourth wash. Based on the posts I've read I should not use the cleaner after applying the protectant. Is this correct?
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #13

Its also a good idea to lubricate all of the pivot points of the top mechanism. An oil can with a long spout works well. Move the top to several different positions to get to all the pivots, theres lots of them.

I use 303 and it works great. The top sheds water just like the paint does. Whatever you use, DON't spray it on. The stuff is nasty and really is hard to get off paint and trim. Just use a small piece of sponge and don't be stingy. More is more in this case.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Its also a good idea to lubricate all of the pivot points of the top mechanism. An oil can with a long spout works well. Move the top to several different positions to get to all the pivots, theres lots of them.

I use 303 and it works great. The top sheds water just like the paint does. Whatever you use, DON't spray it on. The stuff is nasty and really is hard to get off paint and trim. Just use a small piece of sponge and don't be stingy. More is more in this case.
+1...I feel for you if you get this stuff on your windows!!!!! (I can speak from experience on this one lol)
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
I've been using the Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant with good results. I've used the cleaner about every fourth wash. Based on the posts I've read I should not use the cleaner after applying the protectant. Is this correct?
I don't wash my top nearly that much. Unless you're getting something on the top, it shouldn't need cleaning. I probably wash the car weekly, depending on use, and wash the top 4-6 times per year. I would have to look but I think they recommend using the cleaning/protectant a couple of times per year.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 01-20-2012 at 08:03 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #16

same here, I dont wash the top when I wash the car
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
+1...I feel for you if you get this stuff on your windows!!!!! (I can speak from experience on this one lol)
Ragg Topp easily comes off the windows and trim. FYI. No problem.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
I've been using the Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant with good results.

I've used the cleaner about every fourth wash. Based on the posts I've read I should not use the cleaner after applying the protectant. Is this correct?
Correct. DON'T use the Ragg Topp cleaner as a part of your routine car cleaning process. Only use the cleaner prior to the actual Ragg Topp Protectant process.

In my case, prior to winter hibernation, I'll do the Ragg Topp cleaner (every other year) and fully prep the Boxster for storage. Then in the Spring, prior to the driving season, I'll apply 3-4 light coats (entire can, 30-40 minutes dry time between coats) of the Ragg Topp Protectant. This way I know my top is completely dry (obviousley, since it's been in storage for 5-6 months).

If I was doing the entire process during the driving season, I'd recommend washing the top with the cleaner on day #1 and then letting the top dry at least a day, probably 2 before applying the Protectant.

When I brought my new Boxster home, one of the very first things I did to the brand new top was apply an additional 3 coats of Ragg Topp. Fast forward 6 years, and my top still looks brand new.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #19

It's 303 for Me

I agree with washing the top less frequently than the car. When I do wash the top I reapply 303 using a foam, disposable paintbrush. And, apply liberally. No danger of overspray or windows getting sprayed.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #20

you should rinse the top with high pressure (avoid the trim) whenever you wash.

As far as washing, don't do it so often. Use a waterless rinse like Optimum No Rinse if you want to freshen up the paint. Use the leftover solution in the bucket to wipe down the wheels with a wheel face brush. Frequent full on washing with car wash soap will wreck the paint and is overkill when a no-rinse wipe down will do fine. The same goes for waxing, don't do it every month. Use a long-lasting synthetic wax seasonally and if you want some added shine after a wash use a spray wax with the non-prickly side of a microfiber towel.
The goal is to touch the paint as infrequently as possible and to limit contact when you do. Swirls make the paint look old and you can only de-swirl with the Porter Cable so many times.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-21-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote