986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   3M Headlight overlays (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/33146-3m-headlight-overlays.html)

97 Boxster 01-09-2012 08:33 PM

3M Headlight overlays

Has anybody done the 3M headlight overlays for protection/tint? I am interested in doing this to mine but wanted to know if anybody else has tried this. I have a full clear bra on the front end of my car, hood, mirrors etc but I did not have the headlights done. Now I would like to give them the light tint and do the same to my rear end. Thoughts??

jaykay 01-10-2012 07:45 AM

Yes, I have clear ones on my headlights for protection
There is a slight loss in brightness but otherwise pretty slick looking.

So far no flying objects have penetrated the film and done damage. Apparently hot rubber will damage melt into it a bit....has happened to me yet

unklekraker 01-10-2012 07:48 AM

+ 1 with jaykay :cheers:

My headlight has the clear film too :)

keithl 01-10-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster (Post 273446)
Has anybody done the 3M headlight overlays for protection/tint? I am interested in doing this to mine but wanted to know if anybody else has tried this. I have a full clear bra on the front end of my car, hood, mirrors etc but I did not have the headlights done. Now I would like to give them the light tint and do the same to my rear end. Thoughts??

I have not tried the 3m version, but I did try the Headlight Armour protection kit, which is more for tint. I thought that version was a poor product, didn't fit right, looked bad unless you were far away from it.

97 Boxster 01-10-2012 10:02 AM

I was thinking of using
Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style

crogers106 01-10-2012 12:04 PM

I've considering trying the clear bra - does it have to be professionally installed?

97 Boxster 01-10-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crogers106 (Post 273534)
I've considering trying the clear bra - does it have to be professionally installed?

Crogers

It should be done professionally IMHO to have it nice. The headlight overlays should be fine to do on your own though.

shlim8 01-12-2012 06:53 PM

I've got the 3m clear bra on my car as well.

Frankly, the front bonnet, lights, fenders and side mirrors were ok to do DIY. But that bumper piece was impossible.... I couldn't stretch the thing to fit my bumper, there must be at least 6 inches of stretching on each side that needs to be done in order to fit.

Now I've got a unprotected bumper that's badly pitted.... thinking of repainting the bumper now.

Having said that, I understand that there's a new "smaller" version of the 3m bumper clear bra that's much easier to fit.... That's what I'm going to try next, if I ever get this bumper re-painted. After all, it's only the front portion of the bumper that needs serious protection...

And BTW, the 3m product has more of an "orange peel" effect... On a prev car, I used Ventureshield and that one has a very smooth finish... much less obvious.