Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
2007 Cayman S

PDK Question

Take it easy on me with this question fellas; I’ve always had manual transmissions in my Porsches, but I am considering buying an automatic Porsche. My question is, does the PDK require that you shift with paddles or can you simply put it in drive as we do with our daily cars? Thank you.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by por356c View Post
Take it easy on me with this question fellas; I’ve always had manual transmissions in my Porsches, but I am considering buying an automatic Porsche. My question is, does the PDK require that you shift with paddles or can you simply put it in drive as we do with our daily cars? Thank you.
It does both.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #3

When looking for a PDK, be sure the maint has been performed at the proper mileage / age, meaning changing the trans fluid. For 09-10, it's every 6 yrs or 60K mi and 12 yrs or 120K mi for 2011 and newer. The latter is too long a period so look for shorter intervals. If the car has been tracked, defn look for shorter intervals.

PDKs are not bullet-proof contrary to the internet myths. They need to be treated with care when it comes to maint. If there's a problem witht the PDK, Porsche's answer is to replace the whole trans rather than fixing what might be the issue (most common issue is an inexpensive solenoid). If you're out of warranty, that replacement gets very spendy.

The 09 Box S I had with PDK was an OK trans. The 14 Cayman S with PDK I had was significantly better. That car was the 1st I've owned with an auto that I thought I could live with. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the improvements came in 2011.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
I have an 09 PDK and it is not perfect but pretty close. Originally it seemed kinda sleepy but I added Sport Chrono and that really woke it up. Mine has about 80 track days and 70k miles so far. We changed the fluids at 45k miles due to motorsport use.