986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What do you think... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32916-what-do-you-think.html)

Jbocio 01-01-2012 08:40 PM

What do you think...

Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Glass Heated 97 98 99 00 01 02 A5 Canvas GAHH | eBay

^ A day Left..should I trust them and pull the trigger?

PS. I hope I don't see any other bids mysteriously pop up after I post this...:dance:

DenverSteve 01-01-2012 09:14 PM

Your call but I would wait and try to get it for the least amount possible. Four-something would be great.

Eric G 01-01-2012 09:20 PM

Having done a lot of bidding...be prepared with your best bid in place and hold till the last 10 minutes of bidding. You may get snipped at the last moment so make sure that your max price you really feel comfortable paying is in place.

Good luck!

Jbocio 01-01-2012 09:30 PM

I would give anybody permission to shoot me if I went with the "buy now" price.
I know this post is pretty useless but knowing me, it just gives me that added confidence knowing a fellow boxster fanatic or two would make the same decision as me. And If I do go with this, or another top, I am planning to attempt to do a self installation of it, and hopefully it will go smooth.

Eric G 01-01-2012 09:48 PM

I am going to be looking for a top and this would have been a great one to bid on...but seeing that someone on the board is looking, I would not touch this as I can wait till Spring. If you do the install, a write up or pics will be cool!

thstone 01-01-2012 10:44 PM

Very good deal! Go for it.

If you've never installed a top before be sure and do some research so you understand what you're getting into. See DIY here: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987

I installed my Miata top myself and though it turned out well, I promised myself to never do a top again. Why? It wasn't nearly as easy or straight forward as the instructions implied. Clearance was very small and access from inside was extremely limited and it was awkward to work around the roll bar (guessing the same for the roll hoops in the Boxster). Getting the top taunt was not easy, seemed to be either too loose or too tight and adjustment wasn't quick or easy. In the end I got it done and it looks and works great, it was just a lot more work than I had expected.

Bala 01-02-2012 03:56 AM

Installation by self is doable as long as you read the instruction over and over, go thru the motion of installing and take note of the areas you are not sure of and check with maker. Especially critical is the back and fron edges. No instructions tell you how and exactly where the seams or edges should be and how tight. If it is not snug enough you will get creases and if its too tight the top wont close. It will be good to have help.

one more advice remove the old top just when you are ready to install the new one. This way the process stays fresh in your mind. Might even want to take pics and videos of the removal for reference. Will really help.

Even if you didnt aligh the rear and front and taped it. Its not a big issue to remove and redo. But need enough tape. You should use the 3m tape and nothing else. And you will end up breaking the rivets on the b pillar plastic pieces. Im waiting for mine to arrive so i can redo. My top isnt closing and the maker hasnt been much help. The factory top come with stitches and seams that help you align thrm exactly where they need to go. These aftermarket ones do t. mine had the leather piece in the front unattached.

MileHighBoxster 01-02-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 271859)
I am going to be looking for a top and this would have been a great one to bid on...but seeing that someone on the board is looking, I would not touch this as I can wait till Spring. If you do the install, a write up or pics will be cool!

This seller will have more already on Ebay, or will az soon as this one closes. Take my advice, for what it's worth, if you get a top have a professional install it.

Mark_T 01-02-2012 06:22 AM

Whether you do the top yourself or not should depend on your own assessment of your mechanical aptitude. If your only tools are a shoe heel and a butter knife then leave it to the pro's. However, if you've been comfortable with doing water pumps, brakes, plugs, etc., then the job, while not easy, shouldn't be overly challenging. Have a friend around for the parts where an extra set of hands are needed. Allow two days, even though you should only need one. Print out Mike Focke's tutorial as it is the best one out there. It wouldn't hurt to have the Pelican guide and maybe the Bentley book handy, but Mike's guide is really all you need and it's better than those other two put together. I'm sure you can find a use for the $800 you'll save.

Bala's advice about the rivets is right on. Order a new pair of sliders and some extra rivets ahead of time. You will likely need them and you don't want to put the job on hold with it all apart while you wait for the parts you need to come in.

MileHighBoxster 01-02-2012 08:15 AM

For me it depends on what your time is worth more than your abilities. I am extremely busy and demand near perfection. It's worth it to me to have someone do it who is a professional and knows what they are doing - and having it done right the first time - more than whether I can do it myself. I've also seen what seems to be about 50% of DIY'ers have wind and/or water leaks from tops that aren't perfectly installed. If you're going for the less expensive top, pay an installer. Unless, of course, you have a lot more time than I do.

boxster6354 01-02-2012 08:52 AM

Good advise from all.

I have a question about the eBay ad though.

What did it mean by "Welt around rear glass window" is it a mention of defect or process of how window is attached to top?

And no will not bid on this as they will have others as stated, but as told prior be aware of the sinipps that will auto bid with just 4 seconds left as Eric stated, have a max fix bid you are good with it and stand firm.

Good Luck.

Deserion 01-02-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster6354 (Post 271949)
What did it mean by "Welt around rear glass window" is it a mention of defect or process of how window is attached to top?

Basically, it means that there's a plastic/rubber welting line around the window perimeter, versus having the glass adhered directly to the canvas (such as what Audi/Volkswagen does). The 2003-4 OEM tops were done in the same fashion.

dghii 01-02-2012 05:01 PM

FWIW, checking completed auctions, tops with glass windows have been selling for low $400's so I doubt you will get sniped.

Jbocio 01-02-2012 07:52 PM

Yes, Great advice and votes of confidence from everybody. I appreciate it.
I Just put in the bid.
That "welt" thing was a concern for me as well, I was wondering exactly what that meant. Thanks for that description Des.
And while I am planning on attempting the installation, making an appointment with a professional installer will still be an option.
A quote for a little over $300 for installation isn't bad at all factoring in the price of this top as well.

Eric G 01-02-2012 08:06 PM

Good luck!!!

Eric G 01-04-2012 05:45 AM

Wow...looks like you got snipped at the very end. I was hoping you got it...that is the one thing that is frustrating about EBay is this last second attack. I have lost to many good parts that way.

Hope you find or they post another top like was mentioned above.

Mark_T 01-04-2012 06:49 AM

Wasn't me, although I do confess to being a serial Ebay sniper. I love the adrenalin rush of watching those last few seconds count down with your finger hovering over the mouse button, waiting for that perfect moment to strike. Just last night I robbed some 0-score noob of two Snap-on screwdrivers for next to nothing.

jcb986 01-04-2012 07:19 AM

I had a new GAHH glass window top installed on my Boxster. Cost was $1275.00

Perfectlap 01-04-2012 07:45 AM

I met a fellow boxster owner at one of those coin operated car washes (I bring my own brushes/sponges) who recently replaced his own top. He then offered to help me with mine "it will be a piece of cake now that I know how to do it". He seemed like a real DIY type as he told me of the list of things I ordinarily have my Indy take care of. We talked shop for a bit then exchanged numbers. When I later check my phone his number hadn't saved in my contacts.
GRRR.....

Jbocio 01-04-2012 08:35 AM

Yea...I'm starting to think I shouldn't have posted this. There's another trick up my sleeve though, but no further comments on that... :cool:

@JCB how do you like it in your personal opinion? I'm sure the noise suppressing is much better and you can actually see out the back now.

@Perfect If you guys exchanged numbers he should have yours, correct? Hopefully he will randomly give you a call one day just in the nick of time! When I save numbers I always dial the actual number and have it save in my recent calls, as one more measure just in case.