986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any reports of IMS Guardian alerts? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32900-any-reports-ims-guardian-alerts.html)

san rensho 01-01-2012 09:12 AM

Any reports of IMS Guardian alerts?

Now that there are many IMS Guardians in use, has anybody heard of any alerts and what the results were? Maybe a sticky for IMSB alerts would be good?

landrovered 01-01-2012 10:01 AM

Jake reported one the other day on another thread but no one other than Jake will really know the actual status of the things.

san rensho 01-01-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 271789)
Jake reported one the other day on another thread but no one other than Jake will really know the actual status of the things.

I guess what I meant was we should have a thread where people who get IMS alerts can post their experience. Whether it was a false alarm, whether it was really an IMS problem, whether they were able to save the motor, etc.

John99Boxster 01-01-2012 10:59 AM

I also would like to see this before investing in it.

dan.oneufer 04-12-2012 03:35 PM

Any Updates?

This was discussed a few months ago. Is anyone willing to share their experiences with the IMS Guardian? I'd like some more testimonials to help in deciding if it is a good interim solution.

recycledsixtie 04-12-2012 04:21 PM

I have had my IMS Guardian installed last November. If the warning ever comes on I will post it!Cheers.So far so good.

tonycarreon 04-13-2012 02:35 AM

i would also like to know if, when the alert goes off, your pants became damp.

dan.oneufer 04-13-2012 12:27 PM

Detecting other failures

One reason I am curious is that there have to be more parts within the engine that could also have abnormal or unexpected wear. If those parts are ferrous, they should also activate the alarm if they disintegrate.

So, while designed for one scenario, isn't this also protecting from additional internal failures?

See how I'm trying to justifying this to myself...

jdiba 04-13-2012 12:33 PM

I've thought about this quite a bit (as I'm sure others have as well). I've already done the LN Eng update, but I wonder if there would still be lots of value by having the Guardian installed any way for other potential modes of failure.

Meir 04-13-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 286361)

any guardian kit come with one of these:
StayDry Poly Briefs Adult Diapers, MEDIUM 192/cs on eBay!

recycledsixtie 04-13-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 286361)

In a short answer yes. If my engine grenaded it would cause the same effect.:)

Jake Raby 04-15-2012 11:39 AM

We have had one IMS Alert brought to our attention.. The engine is still trying to be covered under aftermarket warranty as the failure was a main timing chain, not an IMS bearing.
Two weeks ago we had a customer that we carried out an IMSR for lose an engine due to cam/ lifter failure and it's a shame the IMSG was not installed as his mag drain plug was covered in debris.. It would have saved his engine no doubt.

We still can't keep up with IMSG sales, now Pelican us stocking the units as well :-)

dan.oneufer 04-15-2012 04:01 PM

OK so now I have another question. Say I replace the factory IMS bearing with one that has ceramic bearings, if such an item exists. Will the guardian be miss any precursor to this bearing failure?

Jake Raby 04-15-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan.oneufer (Post 286656)
OK so now I have another question. Say I replace the factory IMS bearing with one that has ceramic bearings, if such an item exists. Will the guardian be miss any precursor to this bearing failure?

The choice is yours. The LN Ceramic bearing has a STEEL cage and the IMSG does work in conjunction with it. An engine failed two weeks ago due to cam/lifter loss AFTER it had been retrofitted with the IMS bearing. It could have been saved by the IMSG.

Utilizing the two together is the key to dodging all the bullets.