986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dealer vs outside parts vendors (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32843-dealer-vs-outside-parts-vendors.html)

jrcui 12-30-2011 06:09 PM

Dealer vs outside parts vendors

I just bought my first Boxster - A 2000 base model (high miles 103K) - so I'm doing whatever maintenance a Newbie can do without getting into too much trouble. The other day I bought a replacement part at the local Porsche dealer and got the part for a price cheaper than I found online. Going with the logic that the dealer's prices were good, I went back to the same dealer and got a cabin air filter (without checking the net). I paid just over $50.00 for the air filter and installed it.

Since I like to torture myself, I checked online and noticed a wide range of prices for the Mann filter - anywhere from $50 to $12.00. Since I don't want to get reamed again, who are the best vendors to get the best prices (I already know about Pelican - since I've bought parts in the past for my 914).

Thanks in advance

986_c6 12-30-2011 06:59 PM

The big question is what part was it that you got cheaper at the dealer than online.

Unless you know the parts guy or there is a dealer coupon, almost always the parts are cheaper online.

Congrats on your new Boxster!

jrcui 12-30-2011 07:19 PM

It was a replacement cigarette lighter... And thanks, glad to be back in the Porsche world. Sold my 914 and ran a Miata for the past 3 years, but my heart kept wanting another Porsche.

seventythree 12-30-2011 07:36 PM

There are two types of cabin filter, regular, and with activated charcoal. The $12 filter is most certainly the basic one. And it's more than likely that your dealer supplied you with the activated charcoal filter for $50, which is not a bad price.

dghii 12-30-2011 07:43 PM

I've had good luck with the following sources in no particular order;
Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota (but I live in FL)
******************************** AZ
Rock Auto
Pelican

jrcui 12-30-2011 07:48 PM

@Seventythree - they wanted $80 plus for the charcoal one...

clickman 12-31-2011 07:17 AM

Another vote for Suncoast (sorry, Wayne).

JFP in PA 12-31-2011 07:22 AM

Try auto haus AZ, aftermarket charcoal filter was around $20............

Gforrest2 12-31-2011 08:36 AM

Since your in Oregon, I'd get my parts from Sunset Imports. That's where I usually get mine. They are friendly, knowledgeable, quick and price competitive.

jrcui 12-31-2011 09:47 AM

I didn't want to mention them cause they were actually pretty nice, but Sunset Imports was where I got the filter from. In the future, I'll just do a better job of shopping around first - expensive lesson to learn.

Bala 12-31-2011 12:37 PM

Got my Pollen filter here:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Very happy with the filter. Since it doesn't have a cover and is very open to the elements and is in a very precarious location I took out one of my home hvac merv rated filter and covered the P Filter with it and snuck it in place. Don't ask why, just thought it would be better.

BTW, I do order form Pelican and Sunset. Even my local dealer. Go figure!