986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Leather wrapping for center console (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32641-leather-wrapping-center-console.html)

Bala 12-25-2011 11:53 AM

Leather wrapping for center console

My center console has some scratches and so are the band rests on either side. I'd like them wrapped in leather or vinyl matching the one on my dash and my door panel. Has anyone here bought them online? Any recommendations?

Auf los! 12-25-2011 02:31 PM

Pedro

If by "center console" you refer to the floor console, or what Porsche refers to as the "rear section center console," Pedrosgarage will cover it in leather for $180, the "non-smoker's shelf" is separate at $60. Return shipping extra, of course.

I am sending him four pieces from my car this week.

Bala 12-25-2011 04:05 PM

I have taken a vow to do things myself! How else could I afford this and still have all the fun? I did look at Pedro's instructions but want to do them myself over the winter.

fullthrottle52 12-25-2011 04:53 PM

Do it yourself

I did my own arm rests in leather a couple months ago. I got the metropol blue leather from a source in Detroit. It was a project but looks great. Check out my garage. I posted pic there. I also did the grab handles in leather. If my console was really scratched I would not hesitate to do it with leather myself. Just try and find a big enough piece with the same grain as your dash. Need any questions answered just pm me.

fullthrottle52 12-25-2011 05:01 PM

Sorry Bala

The pics are not in my garage. I will try to post pics on Tuesday when I get home from holiday.

fullthrottle52 12-26-2011 06:33 PM

Bala,

I got home and uploaded the pics of my arm rests for you to take a look at. I also did the round door pulls in leather. Mine had the black plastic pulls, not the silver ones. They had been all scratched up from what I think were dog paws. PM me if you need any info.

ChrisZang 12-26-2011 06:53 PM

Here are the DIY instructions: Leather Upholstering, sorry just noticed that you looked at them already
My advise:
a) The thinner the leather, the easier your job will be
b) Cut the holes AFTER you attached (glued) the leather to the console, you will have to do a lot of stretching (the leather, not you)

Bala 12-28-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang (Post 270835)
Here are the DIY instructions: Leather Upholstering, sorry just noticed that you looked at them already
My advise:
a) The thinner the leather, the easier your job will be
b) Cut the holes AFTER you attached (glued) the leather to the console, you will have to do a lot of stretching (the leather, not you)

Thank you Chris. Hunt for leather has begun.

coreseller 12-28-2011 06:46 PM

Other members pointed me towards ebay for thin leather for projects, the guy they directed me towards was bobkitchener. I was more than happy with the product and price.

Bala 12-30-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 271216)
Other members pointed me towards ebay for thin leather for projects, the guy they directed me towards was bobkitchener. I was more than happy with the product and price.

Found him. Thanks for the pointer.