986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   missing owner's manual and records (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32353-missing-owners-manual-records.html)

milliemax 12-20-2011 11:57 AM

missing owner's manual and records

The first Boxter I looked at to buy had no manual or records. I walked. Every car I have owned was sold or traded with all records. Twice, I caught the dealers throwing all the papers in the trash !!! Why do they do that ??? I was hot but had signed off on the titles and no longer owned the cars. I want the next owner to have all records !! Your thoughts ? MAX

healthservices 12-20-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milliemax (Post 269701)
The first Boxter I looked at to buy had no manual or records. I walked. Every car I have owned was sold or traded with all records. Twice, I caught the dealers throwing all the papers in the trash !!! Why do they do that ??? I was hot but had signed off on the titles and no longer owned the cars. I want the next owner to have all records !! Your thoughts ? MAX

probably has something similar to do with HIPAA regs

thstone 12-20-2011 03:05 PM

Dealers rarely share repair history due to privacy concerns. Also, most buyers don't care (at least not enough to walk away solely because of a lack of repair history).

Earn 12-21-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 269706)
probably has something similar to do with HIPAA regs

HIPPA is health regulation only. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic...

milliemax 12-21-2011 08:20 AM

The previous owner sat down with me and went over every receipt and repair order the car ever had. He wanted me to have all the info. Then , I decided to give him my bag of money for his car. When I later picked it up, he had prepared a "to do list " till 2014 so the car would be taken care of . I am waiting for his 07 to be for sale. (His 6th Porsche) When I sell the 99 all records will go to the next owner. My original question. Why don't they ???

healthservices 12-21-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earn (Post 269843)
HIPPA is health regulation only. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic...

I was saying similar, because there are certain rules and regs each dealer follows. Ever notice you cannot find out who the last owners were thru the DMV? Last thing a dealer needs is a customer hunting down a past owner trying to find a missing key or information about it's history. If the majority of the info is not in the dealer records the dealer will just not advertise the history or just wholesale the car.

ekam 12-21-2011 09:08 AM

Dealer don't want you to remember previous record of any maintenance history...

Ask me how I know.

milliemax 12-21-2011 12:26 PM

How do you know ? What I know is that the 3 different dealers and 3 different sales managers DID NOT get my bag of money. The money went to the previous owner who was very open about everything concerning the car. 2 of the dealer cars were sent to market for a far less cash sale. OOPS !!! Not my problem.