986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Brake Fluid (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32335-brake-fluid.html)

2003S 12-20-2011 04:54 AM

Brake Fluid

As I pulled into work this morning, the dash alternated between "Brake Fluid Low" and "PSM Disabled" -- Am I right in assuming the former probably causes the latter? Didn't have chance to open the frunk & check the level, was running late for a call.

Assuming I just need to add fluid, which is the right one? Pelican sells:
  • ATE Super
  • ATE Gold
  • ATE DOT 4
  • ATE SL.6 DOT 4
  • Pentosin DOT 4

Thanks

Topless 12-20-2011 06:53 AM

Any DOT4 will work. The more important question is, how did the fluid get so low? What do the pads and rotors look like? Really low fluid usually means either a leak or total brake job. Give it a good look before driving.

2003S 12-20-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 269639)
Any DOT4 will work. The more important question is, how did the fluid get so low? What do the pads and rotors look like? Really low fluid usually means either a leak or total brake job. Give it a good look before driving.

Pads & Rotors looked great @ the PPI in Sept, probably just 1K miles ago, so I'm doubting anything major happened there -- but I will take a close look before I leave the office today. Hoping it's just a bit low, the warning didn't come on until I was pulling into my parking spot, all was fine the whole way in...

JFP in PA 12-20-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 269624)
As I pulled into work this morning, the dash alternated between "Brake Fluid Low" and "PSM Disabled" -- Am I right in assuming the former probably causes the latter? Didn't have chance to open the frunk & check the level, was running late for a call.

Assuming I just need to add fluid, which is the right one? Pelican sells:
  • ATE Super
  • ATE Gold
  • ATE DOT 4
  • ATE SL.6 DOT 4
  • Pentosin DOT 4

Thanks

You do not want to use the ATE Sl.6, which is a special low viscosity fluid for use in some cars that require it for their stability management systems; any of the rest of them would be fine.

2003S 12-20-2011 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So it just looks a bit low; Nothing under the car, so not sure what the deal is.
I'm parked on a bit of a slope in the parking garage, but you can still tell it looks to be below the "min" line by a bit.

Any problem with topping it off? e.g. potentially mixing different types of fluid?

JFP in PA 12-20-2011 09:49 AM

The system shuts off the PSM when the fluid level gets too low to prevent pulling air into the network of pump and control valves, which is a pain to bleed out and requires activating the system while bleeding using either a PIWIS or Durametric system.

2003S 12-20-2011 12:04 PM

Thanks much.

clickman 12-20-2011 05:18 PM

Don't forget the brakes and clutch are on a shared system.