Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Suggestion for trickle charger wanted

I'm looking to purchase a trickle charger for my 01 Boxster which will be spending more time in the garage now that I have a second car. Any suggestions on what brand and model to get and best place to purchase from?

Thanks

2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Are you looking for a trickle charger or a battery maintainer - there is a subtle difference ?

A battery charger is what you charge the battery with when it is flat (discharged) and usually means disconnecting the battery from the car and charging for several hours.

A battery maintainer lets you maintain a fully charged battery while the car hibernates for a prolonged period - it doesn't "charge" the battery, only maintains the voltage which is what I assume you mean....
Porsche have their own brand maintainer (expensive) and C-tec is a well regarded brand here in Australia

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 12-19-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

You do not want a trickle charger, you want a maintainer; as Steve said, they are totally different animals. Steve is also correct on selecting a Ctek over a cheaper unit; the Ctek's all have a specific function in all their charge profiles to deal with premature battery sulfation, which is a major factor in premature battery death.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001saxster View Post
I'm looking to purchase a trickle charger for my 01 Boxster which will be spending more time in the garage now that I have a second car. Any suggestions on what brand and model to get and best place to purchase from?

Thanks
You can buy a Porsche battery maintainer from Sunset Porsche for about $43.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Choose the right maintainer for your battery. A lead acid battery benefits from sulfation protection. An AGM or Gel Cel battery works best with a more gentle charge at slightly lower voltage.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

I'm using a Napa 85-201 to maintain an Odyssey PC680 . About $28.

Should work on lead acid or gel cell batteries.

Max
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Choose the right maintainer for your battery. A lead acid battery benefits from sulfation protection. An AGM or Gel Cel battery works best with a more gentle charge at slightly lower voltage.
AGM batteries require slightly higher charging voltage than conventional flooded batteries, but are relatively immune to current rates. The can also suffer sulfation. Gel cels require lower current rates to prevent gas bubbles from forming and disrupting the gel while being charged.

Always be sure any maintainer is correct for the type of battery you are using; better units (like the Ctek) have settings for different types of batteries....

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-20-2011 at 10:13 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

Garage
For those who are still in the market for a simple cost effective battery maintainer, I just picked up a Deltran Tender Junior complete with the cigarette lighter adapter
for $36.00 including shipping . It's virtually identical to the one Porsche offers for much less money .

Deltran Battery Tender Junior Charger 12V @ 0.75A Smart Maintainer - Xtreme Parts World
Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

I use to buy them by the case at Harbor Freight Tools to give away to my customers when I owned a battery co. Buy a battery and get a free "maintainer"!!!. The ones with the direct hook up to the terminal with a disconnect are a little more "sure" that the cig lighter style. I use to pay about $2 - 3 dollars each. They are also called "float chargers" Sold that company in 03 and I am sure the price is up a bit now.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Ex Esso kid

I have had a schumaker maintainer for more than eight years works perfect and is generally less expensive than competitors.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSNP_enUS464US464&q=schumacher+battery+maintainer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11028268405428795591&sa=X&ei=zfUET-j_COTq0gHbiMSdAg&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAI
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I have had a schumaker maintainer for more than eight years works perfect and is generally less expensive than competitors.

DSR PSC-15AOB 1.5 Amp 12V Fully Automatic Charger / Maintainer
I heard that it won't work with the new spider though .
Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I got an eyeball on one, working out numbers. I should just replace the schumaker, you're right. I shouldn't let it touch a new car after being used on the 986, might catch m96 motoritis.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Yea... Too much juice for those ultra light batteries in the new Spyder.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
For those who are still in the market for a simple cost effective battery maintainer, I just picked up a Deltran Tender Junior complete with the cigarette lighter adapter
for $36.00 including shipping . It's virtually identical to the one Porsche offers for much less money .

Deltran Battery Tender Junior Charger 12V @ 0.75A Smart Maintainer - Xtreme Parts World
So is this what you are using now? How is it? I have a 2001...can I charge/maintain my battery through the cigarette lighter?

I been disconnecting my battery every winter which I been told now is not a good idea....:/
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbepop View Post
So is this what you are using now? How is it? I have a 2001...can I charge/maintain my battery through the cigarette lighter?

I been disconnecting my battery every winter which I been told now is not a good idea....:/
I purchased it last week, and so far it's worked perfectly. I'm aware that there are more sophisticated maintainers than this one. However, it more than satisfies my needs.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #16

A YELLOW maintainer is what I am looking for !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #17

I use a Deltran Tender Plus. They have three or more models and they work great. When I'm going to be out of town for a month or more, I hook mine up and never worry.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
A YELLOW maintainer is what I am looking for !!!
I works great with ice cream too .
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #19

Ctek US 3300
Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #20

A major advantage for the entire Ctek line is that all of them address sulfating in batteries, which is a major factor that shortens the life expectancy of any lead/acid battery, including AGM’s like the Optima. All Ctek’s run a de-sulfating mode in every charge cycle, something that no Battery Tender models, or most other low cost brands, do; plus they run periodic tests on the battery to make sure everything is alright. All Ctek’s also have specific settings for special batteries, like the Optima’s, which require a slightly higher charging voltage than conventional flooded cell batteries.

"You get's what you pay's for"………

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote