986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking of buying this 2003 Boxster S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32013-thinking-buying-2003-boxster-s.html)

binkoba 12-11-2011 06:31 PM

Thinking of buying this 2003 Boxster S

Hi

I have been thinking of buying a Boxster s for some time.

I found this 2003 on EBAY.

What are you guys thoughts on this one.

Good points, this car was Porsche certified in 2009, and has all the options I want, Heated seats, computer wind block etc. Check out the wheels.. Low miles.

Bad, The Cost, but maybe I can get it for 22000

Porsche : Boxster Porsche : Boxster | eBay

thstone 12-12-2011 10:59 AM

Kelly Blue Book is around $24K. Low miles. Very nice and clean. The S-models hold their value a bit better than the base models and the low miles keep the price up. I'd offer $21K and see what they say.

Johnny Danger 12-12-2011 11:57 AM

Looks nice. However, I wouldn't buy a vehicle sight unseen, without a thorough PPI .

thstone 12-12-2011 12:12 PM

^ Agree. You should always get a PPI.

Previously, I have used a service to provide an on-site PPI when purchasing vehicles from eBay and purchased the vehicle based solely on the report of the on-site service (I never actually saw or drove the car myself). I have also decided not to purchase vehicles based on the PPI report from the service provider.

fivepointnine 12-12-2011 02:11 PM

seems expensive for an 03, bought my 02 with new top/glass window and new clutch with 64k miles for 15.5k......I would not pay more than 20k for it

the low miles scare me if anything, a IMS would be the first thing I put in it, probably sat alot

Ghostrider 310 12-12-2011 03:27 PM

I agree with Jonny and I'll go one further in what's bad about buying from a far, what about what you can't see? No test drive. The idiot who sold me my Boxster took a set of wheels in trade that were bent and stuck them on my car, he made it right but he didn't even know they were bent or hoped I wouldn't know. No way to know what else lurks without an updated ppi or at least a site visit. It could have had body work since the last ppi too.

MileHighBoxster 12-12-2011 05:04 PM

The price for that mileage is excellent, cheap even. If you want it, tell the seller you're coming to see it and have him/her hold it for your inspection. Otherwise have him take it to a local dealership for an inspection, at your expense, and use that report to guide your decision. Speak to the agency, they may have already had it inspected by a Porsche shop. The the listing shows great.

WhipE350 12-12-2011 05:37 PM

Binkoba - That looks like a nice car. The seats appear to be in excellent shape, the plastics are not scuffed up. Only scuff I can see is on the door seal on the drivers side. Radio and climate control screens look clean, the brake calipers still seem to have all the shine to them, not bad at all. Get the PPI, find a good price and if it works out looks like you'll have nice car. See if you can get the price down enough to get the IMS replaced, it would seem the car sat a lot.

t2-bxtrs 12-12-2011 07:18 PM

2003 Boxster S

Binkoba,
I can just echo in on most of the comments here... Be very wary of buying this kind of cars through e-bay, site-unseen? you're taking too much risk!
There's plenty of them in autotrader/cars.com etc... You need to test drive them and if possible have a reputable shop do a PPI for you... not necessarily a Porsche dealer.. sometimes your better off doing it with an independent shop that would really take their time in going through the car...
Don't get too impressed with that low mileage, check the history... leaks etc.. accidents?
Price is also on the high side for a few options listed on the hood-sticker too.
No Litronic /Bose sound /etc..
anyway, good luck on your search !
t2

Jaxonalden 12-12-2011 07:35 PM

This is a car at a dealership. They paid no more than than Black Book price for this car. Find out what that price is (on line) and work from there.

Use the history report in your favor if you want it bad enough;

1. 3 previous owners and you'll be the 4th in 8 years
2. 2 auto auctions and that whole VA., N.J. and PA. love triangle (4 town four way) going on in 2009...what's up with that?
3. It's traveled 17 miles in 4 1/2 months? You would figure someone would take it out for a test drive and put a few more miles on than 17!

Might want to walk softly with this one.

fivepointnine 12-12-2011 07:47 PM

if I ever sell my S I know what part of the country to sell it in!!! thats like an easy 4k-5k MORE than it would sell for here

jacabean 12-13-2011 12:55 PM

that is a nice low mileage car but . no Bose , No PSM and not full leather.

msk914 12-13-2011 01:34 PM

Hi, I live in the NYC metro area, and I saw this too. It is high. A 2003-S with ~40K miles and similar specs sold for under $20k on Long Island-- it was apparently a trade-in at an Acura dealer. I called about it, but someone else had just had an inspection done, and they closed in a few days.

Mark