Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
SoK

New stereo, install help/advice needed

Hey Guys,

I have a birthday coming up and my GF said she'd buy me a new radio. We stopped in Best Buy the other day and I saw this one I liked:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32848_Pioneer-AVH-P2300DVD.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

I've read up on it and it seems to get pretty good reviews, especially for the price.

Here's where i need help.

What else do I need to install this? Will this work for the dash conversion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-02-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-DOUBLE-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT-/220726796582

I'm guessing that should be about it. Let me know your thoughts before I order everything. Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Yup, all you need is the double din deck and the double din kit and a little bit of time and you'll be set. You will also have to cut/trim/dremel out the center part of the radio surround piece to fit the new double din cage (super easy).

The great thing about the din kit is that it comes with wiring harnesses that will plug directly into the factory harness so you don't have to cut and splice anything.

Also, if you are keen on having the DVD playing while the car is in motion (which is illegal in some states) you will need a standard 12v relay and some extra wire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

Have fun! It's a great project to do. I installed the P3300BT in my 02 Boxster in a hour or two.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 09-01-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Temp controls up top.

I have the temp controls up top and then the CD magazine on the bottom. Can the temp controls be easily moved down - or is this just to much trouble?

btw - the MOST bus is supposed to be a standard - why then are their no aftermarket head units? I would think somebody in china would be knocking these off.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
I have the temp controls up top and then the CD magazine on the bottom. Can the temp controls be easily moved down - or is this just to much trouble?

btw - the MOST bus is supposed to be a standard - why then are their no aftermarket head units? I would think somebody in china would be knocking these off.
Its my understanding that moving the AC controls down is an easy task. All you need is the new faceplate which i believe places like Suncoast and Pelican sell the trim piece.

My AC controls were already down there underneath the CD holders. Above my radio were cup holders. I replaced the CD holder with a pocket and ditched the cup holders.

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

touchscreens with the top down

Guys - can these touchscreens be seen with the top down in full sun?
Stan_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_D
Guys - can these touchscreens be seen with the top down in full sun?
Yup!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #7

@Sok
I am about to order the same setup for my box. How did Installation go, pics?

Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote