986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Stock OEM Radio Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31971-stock-oem-radio-question.html)

coreseller 12-10-2011 05:36 AM

Stock OEM Radio Question

I am looking to replace an aftermarket Sony head unit (looks horrid to me in an otherwise pristine interior) in a 993 911 with a CDR220 OEM Porsche unit. My question, do I just replace the head unit or is there an additional amp needed to make it perform correctly. I had a 2002 Boxster S with this unit but I thought there may of been a factory amp mounted high up in the frunk behind / above the spare tire, not sure. I obviously know little about the stereos in these things, just looking to avoid buying a head unit and getting surprised after / during the install.

tonycarreon 12-10-2011 06:17 AM

there is an external amplifier, but it's an additional item, not a required item as far as i know.

wayne's 101 projects book has an article on going from stock to 3rd party, so you can find some info there.

Pelican Technical Article: Changing Your Boxster Stereo Head Unit / Installing Boxster Ipod Integration - 986 / 987

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101 Projects
If your car does not have an external amplifier, then the speakers for the Boxster will plug directly into the brown connector B on the back of the radio. If your Boxster has an external amplifier, then there will be a smaller yellow connector that outputs the signals from the head unit to the amplifier. If you have a factory amplifier installed, then you can simply adapt the signal from your new stereo into the leads on the yellow plug, as I have done with this stereo installation. If not, then you simply hook up the speaker leads from the new stereo to the adapter that plugs into the brown connector.

Ghostrider 310 12-10-2011 06:41 AM

You can use the radio by itself, just make sure whoever sells it to you provides the proper code as Porsche factory radios scramble each time the battery is disconnected. Chasing down the proper code isn't impossible but it's a lot easier to have it on the front end.

coreseller 12-10-2011 07:40 AM

Thanks Tony. After reading Wayne's write-up I'm wondering if going back to stock (which will likely run $150 to $250 with shipping) for a unit Wayne describes as "The factory Porsche head units (manufactured by Becker) are best described as barely adequate - the technology is at least 10 years old in most cases, and the controls on the units are beyond terrible" is the way to go?

Like I said, I'm not overly interested a unit with phenominal sound, I just wanted something decent that looks more stock than the Sony unit presently there.

I guess I should ask; Does anyone know of a more "stock" appearing single DIN head unit?

KevinH1990 12-10-2011 05:24 PM

Search Harman Kardon and Nakamichi. They appear to have some units that look similar to the OEM Becker units.

There are two common mods used on Boxsters to address poor audio quality. I'm not sure whether they would have the same impact in a 993:

1. Upgrading your speakers can help the Becker units sound better.
2. A double din navigation unit can be made to appear surprisingly good in a Boxster. I'm currently contemplating this option. I'm not sure that this would work for a 993. I've never looked that closely at the head unit in one.

Good luck

tonycarreon 12-10-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 268056)
Like I said, I'm not overly interested a unit with phenominal sound, I just wanted something decent that looks more stock than the Sony unit presently there.

i'm happy with the sound that comes from mine - i do have the amp, but not the rear speakers. i have no desire for some red and blue pulsating aftermarket unit. i prefer the coordinating orange glow.

he is right about the controls. they are finicky when turning the knob to change the radio "dial" or move through songs on the CD. it will move forward then jump back. have to do it a couple of times. annoying sure but i don't really use the cd or radio functions anymore.

if i'm on a long road trip, i listen to episodes of my favorite shows stored on my ipod through the stereo. sometimes i'll use the iphone to stream msnbc on sirius and just use the phone's speaker or plug in headphones if the top is down.

as long as you're not expecting it to sound like the boston pops are hiding in the dash you should be okay with the aftermarket + amp. look around for someone parting out their car. (and get one that comes with the code)

Ghostrider 310 12-11-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 268056)
Thanks Tony. After reading Wayne's write-up I'm wondering if going back to stock (which will likely run $150 to $250 with shipping) for a unit Wayne describes as "The factory Porsche head units (manufactured by Becker) are best described as barely adequate - the technology is at least 10 years old in most cases, and the controls on the units are beyond terrible" is the way to go?

I guess I should ask; Does anyone know of a more "stock" appearing single DIN head unit?

The sound is OK but all you are really buying is a piece that completes the look of interior integration, if that's your goal cool. However, don't expect a sonic upgrade or utility, IMO Porsche should have stuck with the Blaupunkt units.