Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Activated OBC, but no display

I purchased the Durametric to diagnose air bag light. While I was in there, I thought, hey, let me enable the OBC....

I understood even with no stalk, I should still see the outside temp display???

My car is a 2001.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

Garage
I am pretty sure that only worked on the older cars (1997 to 1999?). For the newer cars, you would need the 4th stalk or you can add a switch and run wires between the switch and the instrument cluster (search OBC hack). I did it a while back, and it is nice to have the OBC working for about $30 and a half hour of my time.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

You will not see a display until either a stalk or switch to operate the system is installed; this started in 2001.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
I am pretty sure that only worked on the older cars (1997 to 1999?). For the newer cars, you would need the 4th stalk or you can add a switch and run wires between the switch and the instrument cluster (search OBC hack). I did it a while back, and it is nice to have the OBC working for about $30 and a half hour of my time.
I did the same with my 03. Button instead of the stalk was relatively easy and provides the same functnaity.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #5

JFP's right. you have to install the stalk to actually have it show up. the older hack allowed you to "select" the item that displayed constantly. using the durametric simply enables the OBC. the display will show up once the stalk (or another means of controlling the display) is put in place.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
JFP's right. you have to install the stalk to actually have it show up. the older hack allowed you to "select" the item that displayed constantly. using the durametric simply enables the OBC. the display will show up once the stalk (or another means of controlling the display) is put in place.
Technically, the stalk is not required. The "poor man's" OBC hack involves installing one or two buttons into the blanks on the dash, and individually wiring them into the instrument cluster connector on the back. I didn't want to go through all the trouble of installing the stalk, so I opted for the dash buttons. Works great and took under an hour.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

OK, let me "restate" what I said earlier: On a 2001 or later, you must have "a switching device" correctly wired into the harness to get any display after the system is activated. Happy now?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #8

i think we're all arguing the same point:

- on cars 2000 and older, it's possible to enable the OBC and have it display one piece of information constantly without a means of cycling through it (stalk, button, telepathy)

- on cars after 2000, it is possible to enable the OBC, but nothing happens until a means of controlling the display is attached (stalk, buttons, hammer...)

to the original poster's question of "why don't i see the OBC after enabling it with the durametric tool on my 2001 boxster?" the answer is: you must install a means of controlling the display - be it the 4-stalk item, wiring it to a button on the dash or finding some other hack.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 12-11-2011 at 09:53 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

Garage
As has been explained, you need a switch or stalk in post 2000 cars. I did the switch.
Instructions shown here:
Boxster On Board Computer Activation

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote