986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Locking wheel nuts (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31702-locking-wheel-nuts.html)

rene525d 12-06-2011 03:57 AM

Locking wheel nuts

I have a 2004 S 986 and one of the nuts on the alloys is a lockable nut. I had the nut key in the front hood, but the nut was so hard to undo that i managed to break the key and now I cannot undo the nuts. Do boxsters leave the factory with one locking nut on each wheel or was this done aftermarket?

Soetekouw 12-06-2011 04:22 AM

I bought my 2007 S from the factory and it came with locking nuts. I bought an extra key socket a week later (I tend to lose things).

Spinnaker 12-06-2011 04:26 AM

That's the way they come from the factory. Some owners replace the security lug bolts with standard ones to avoid all the hassles, especially guys that track their cars a lot. Makes changing over the tires/wheels easier. Dealers will sometimes have a set of security keys on hand for their own use when the customer loses the one that came with the car. Check with your local dealer to see if they have a set of keys so you can get the lug bolt off. Changing over my security lug bolts to standard ones has been on my to do list for awhile, just too lazy to get around to it.
BTW, Ebay is full of folks selling their security lug bolts and keys. They must be tired of fooling around with them too.

jcb986 12-06-2011 04:29 AM

Get ride of them, they are not worth the trouble...I did.

John99Boxster 12-06-2011 04:52 AM

+1 on getting rid of them. PITA. I went to a tire shop and had them remove the lock lugs and replaced with regular bolts.

healthservices 12-06-2011 06:36 AM

center punch and drill out the lug bolt

landrovered 12-06-2011 06:43 AM

I used an special socket for rounded bolts on mine, just tapped it on and then took the stupid things off and replaced them with standard lugs. Pointless and annoying if you ask me.

I would not try to drill them out though, lots of opportunity for disaster going that route.

thstone 12-06-2011 10:15 AM

+2 on getting rid of them!

schnellman 12-06-2011 11:09 AM

+3 on getting rid of them. I tossed mine three years ago.

Overdrive 12-06-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 267291)
I used an special socket for rounded bolts on mine, just tapped it on and then took the stupid things off...

which shows exactly why they're not really worth it -- a thief can do the exact same thing and still make off with your wheels if they wanted them that badly, and it's not going to delay them that much more in getting the job done. Mine are still on there, but I'm probably going to do the same as others and change to a regular lug nut before my luck strikes again and I end up breaking my key while stuck on the side of the road somewhere remote. :rolleyes:

John99Boxster 12-06-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 267332)
but I'm probably going to do the same as others and change to a regular lug nut before my luck strikes again and I end up breaking my key while stuck on the side of the road somewhere remote. :rolleyes:

The breaking of the cheaply made key is inevitable!

Overdrive 12-06-2011 12:10 PM

Hence why I'm not crazy about using the wheel locks, John.

Gforrest2 12-06-2011 05:10 PM

Mine actually came with two different keys, so it's really a PITA to remove mine. Where's a good place to get replacment nuts? Would Ebay be a bad idea?

rene525d 12-07-2011 03:53 AM

Just came back from our local dealer here... they are unable to order a replacement key, they said Porsche is no longer offering replacement locking wheel nuts keys. I guess tough luck!

I spoke to a few Tyre shops around and they claim all to be able to do it, however they do not offer any guarantee that they will not damage the alloy wheels. Its the only way out for me so I will give it a shot anyway. Wish me luck :mad:

schnellman 12-07-2011 04:25 AM

Replacement Set

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gforrest2 (Post 267389)
Mine actually came with two different keys, so it's really a PITA to remove mine. Where's a good place to get replacment nuts? Would Ebay be a bad idea?

Don't know about lug nuts. But, you can get lug bolts from Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, or there's a nice set of stainless steel bolts on Ebay for $149.