986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   3rd DE thoughts (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31601-3rd-de-thoughts.html)

RandallNeighbour 12-04-2011 06:44 PM

3rd DE thoughts

Just finished my third DE, and I'm now in the blue run group ... Finally. Something clicked in me and I found the line, started driving faster and more comfortably, passing cars (even a Ferrari 355 F1) and seeing the flag workers and flags.

The first two DEs left me quite dissatisfied at how I was (or was not) driving. A friend and fellow forum member gave me one of his free passes and I thought, "Why not? It won't cost much..."

I share all this with those of you who have gone to one DE and not returned. Stick with it. You, like me, will have that competence/confidence convergence and be on your way to blue solo driving, which opens up a whole new world of opportunity to drive other tracks and clubs and even do some racing.

thstone 12-04-2011 09:01 PM

I experienced the same thing. Realize is that track driving is a completely new skill and it takes some time to learn it (despite how well we all think that we can drive right out of the box). Sure, some have more natural talent than others but very few of us will be recruited for ALMS or GRAND AM in our first year of track events!

Now you've invested some time, here comes the really fun part - feeling confident and capable enough to chase around with others in your run group a bit. Glad that you stuck with it long enough to get there!

RandallNeighbour 12-05-2011 07:30 AM

Now I gotta start making enough extra cash to enjoy the track 3-4 times a year. Not a cheap past time, that's for sure. The entry fees are just the tip of the iceberg when you factor in tires, brake pads, discs, fluid changes, filters, and then replacing worn suspension parts because of hard and heavy use.

Perfectlap 12-05-2011 10:36 AM

Randy Probst had some interesting articles on learning to go faster by going slower. Even a pro driver had to wait for the ah-ha momment despite years of experience.

I think the key is to get the in-cockpit mechanics to mesh with the downstream field of vision.
Two seperate dynamics that are not over-though in your brain and completely underthought in your cockpit reactions. Usually it's the other way around.
That only comes with seat time. That's why safe autocross drivers (or competent) make for safe track drivers. time, lots of time.

986_c6 12-05-2011 09:47 PM

Yup after 75+ track days and still learning--->Seat time. And good job sticking with it Randall.

I always tell my students, this is like learning to ski, or any other sport you play, the only way you can get better is practice, and then the AWARENESS that you gain on the field will come naturally.