Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
2006 987

Garage
Boxster is best convertible by landslide in 2011 Edmunds poll

Figured this would be on here somewhere but I didn't see it:
Consumers' Favorites: Best Convertible - Edmunds.com

Quote:
With 23.2 percent of the vote, the Porsche Boxster, a perennial favorite of high-performance roadster enthusiasts, roared away from the pack. Taking a distant 2nd at 8.5 percent was the speedy Chevrolet Corvette, while the affable Mazda Miata was right behind in 3rd with 7.8 percent.
That's pretty impressive, 23% of the vote out of all those cars. Devil's advocate could say maybe some Porsche group swayed the vote to sell more cars but if that was the case they'd choose the 911 instead.

I'm just amazed the Corvette did so poorly, you always think Americans loooove corvettes. Apparently not.

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Matt

How is #2 so poorly? First the poll is correct in my mind. Second ALL Boxsters are exclusively convertibles and only a small percentage of all Corvette's are drop tops. Boxster's are roadsters which means convertible only. Corvette's are primarily coupes so I think they did fantastic to beat out all other convertible's like the BMW Z's and the Honda S2000.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

If it was any other car at the top of the rankings, I'd treat the result as confirmation that polling the great unwashed on such matters proves the notion that popularity is inversely proportional to merit.

As it's the Boxster, I'll have to treat it as an exception that proves the rule!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
How is #2 so poorly? First the poll is correct in my mind. Second ALL Boxsters are exclusively convertibles and only a small percentage of all Corvette's are drop tops. Boxster's are roadsters which means convertible only. Corvette's are primarily coupes so I think they did fantastic to beat out all other convertible's like the BMW Z's and the Honda S2000.
I can't find the exact question they used, but the question seems to be "what is the best convertible"?

Many other convertible-only vehicles could have taken the top spot. Miata, SLK and Z3 comes to mind (yes I know the Z3 had a coupe for 3 years, but it's been a convertible for 15 years)

It's still impressive the Boxster took nearly 1/4th the votes out of 19 competing vehicles and it proves Edmunds readers really do their research

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote