Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #1

removing a hardtop

I just purchase a 2000 Boxster with a hardtop and need to know how to remove it? Does anyone have instuctions to do this?
Thanks

coonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #2

It's EASY!

Open both doors. On the inside of the hardtop, on each side near the top of the shoulder seat belt is a red handle. Pull this lever on each side... it folds outward into the car.

Next, in the front center of the top is the latching mechanism. Push the locking button and pull down on the latch lever.

At this point the top is disengaged. There is a defroster cable attachment point on the drivers side. If you look carefully with the seat folded forward you should be able to see it. Find the plug and detach it. Now you can remove the top from the car.

With a helper, lift the top from each side and slowly walk it back over the rear of the car. The top is very light and you can do it with a significant other with little hassle.

To reinstall, reverse the process. Angle the hardtop onto the top of the windscreen, the slowly lower the rear ensuring that the pins are properly aligned. Once it is down, you can latch the front and rear latches. Reconnect the defroster power and you are all set.

Happy motoring!

Last edited by schwank; 01-07-2008 at 06:25 AM.
schwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the instructions they worked perfectly! I just got my Boxster yesterday (2001 / 10,000 miles / Speed Yellow / S version) and was a bit worried until I read your instructions. Grabbed a neighbor and 5 minutes later, I've got a convertible!

thanks very much-
Mildred
Ellisonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
The Boxster hardtop is such a great design! At an autocross I asked a Miata guy for a hand pulling my top...I flipped the three latches and said "ready?" He was stunned. The Miata HT is a bit more involved!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Garage
Once you get the hard top off.... would you consider selling it???

My Boxster is my daily driver so a hard top would come in handy during the chicago winters.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
The Boxster hardtop is such a great design! At an autocross I asked a Miata guy for a hand pulling my top...I flipped the three latches and said "ready?" He was stunned. The Miata HT is a bit more involved!
I've had a hard top on both of my Miatas (1990 and 1994). The Miata was different, but not more difficult. I could actually put the Miata top on by myself because it was lighter and not quite as large as the Boxster.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote