Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #1

Polite "beep" for alarm being armed?

My Lexus sounds a nice polite "beep" that signals that the alarm has been armed. It is a short and not too loud "beep" that sounds more like "bink"--not like those obnoxious squaks that cheap after-market alarms make. And it is not a shortened "horn honk" that the Boxster lets out if, for example, your trunk is not fully closed when you armed the alarm.

Is there any way that our Boxsters can be modified to do this polite beep?

I find that it is annoying to have to turn your head around as you walk away from your car so that you can see if the signal lights have flashed and thus you know for sure when you've locked your car properly. In a garage or quiet underground parking lot, you won't need to turn your head because you can hear the power door locks working. But if you're out on a noisy street, you have to turn your head.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:26 AM   #2

I'm sure it can be done, it just depends on how much time you want to put into it. I've thought about getting a small chirping horn for this. You could run the signal wire for the lights through it so it churped twice when locking and once when unlocking in synch with the lights. I'd be afraid to mess with re-wiring the regular horn and wouldn't want to use the chirp that lets you know something's open.

Anybody done this?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #3

I wouldn't mess with it. Porsche alarms are designed to ONLY cherp when some is WRONG!!!
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
fab

[COLOR=Teal]New owner 00 boxster. Regarding the alarm, when I press my remote control button once it locks the doors, and the lights flash and when I press it again it beeps and lights flash again. Does anyone know what does the beep noise suppose to mean?[/COLOR]
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #5

Check your center console, doors, trunks, gas door and gas cap, aftermarket radio, malfunction radio; these are things you can check that I can think off the top of my head. the alarm ONLY beeps if something is wrong.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
I'm sure it can be done, it just depends on how much time you want to put into it. I've thought about getting a small chirping horn for this. You could run the signal wire for the lights through it so it churped twice when locking and once when unlocking in synch with the lights. I'd be afraid to mess with re-wiring the regular horn and wouldn't want to use the chirp that lets you know something's open.

Anybody done this?
That's clever. Yes, I guess I could do that.
Anyone know where I can access the signal wire?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
Check your center console, doors, trunks, gas door and gas cap, aftermarket radio, malfunction radio; these are things you can check that I can think off the top of my head. the alarm ONLY beeps if something is wrong.
???

May be unique to the '02 - but my '02 S chirps on "arm" every time, assuming I press the button twice quickly.
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
That's clever. Yes, I guess I could do that.
Anyone know where I can access the signal wire?
Use a cheap tester with a light on it. Connect to the wires going out of the back of the flashers, lock the doors and see if you get a current. If so, turn the hazard lights on and see if you still get the current. Trace it back until you find the wire that gives you a signal when the alarm is pressed but not when the hazards are on. That should be your signal feed. The problem is it's probably in the dash somewhere with the billion other wires.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote