986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Houston Boxster Trip Pix! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3141-houston-boxster-trip-pix.html)

RandallNeighbour 07-09-2005 10:01 AM

Houston Boxster Trip Pix!

Hey! I just got home from our half day road trip in the hill country NW of Houston.

Stanislaus was driving his hardtopped-silver 02 S, Mike was driving his (get this ... Audi TT Quattro hardtop. Traded his boxster in three days ago for it!) and me in my 97.

I mapped out the trip, but early on Stanislaus took the lead and pushed it to 146 mph. Mike's TT topped out at 130 (evidently has a speed limiter) and I lagged behind, only hitting 126. I was creeping up on them, but after dodging a tall white bird of some sort and killing a squirrel, I decided finding my top speed wasn't that important!

Here's some pix for you all to see. The speedo shot at the bottom was not my top speed, but I did manage to squeeze off a shot of my speedo while clipping along and following the other two speed demons.

Oh yes... there were lots of twisty roads as well we all enjoyed at 80~90 mph. I believe a good time was had by all!

RandallNeighbour 07-09-2005 10:03 AM

Here's the speedo pic...

AztecRol 07-09-2005 10:09 AM

$2.25 a gallon for SUPER??? OMG, that is unreal.
We get sooooo reamed here for gas :(

Looks like you guys had a blast.
Great pix!!

RandallNeighbour 07-09-2005 10:11 AM

What's super running in CA? I'm driving out there in two weeks.

AztecRol 07-09-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What's super running in CA? I'm driving out there in two weeks.

Im in the east bay, and its a little cheaper here than the peninsula. Where I am, its
around 2.69 a gallon for super. Thats for the tier one stuff, 76, shell, chevron. If you
shop around a bit, you might find some cheaper prices.

Have a great trip out here, and enjoy the weather!!

bigislandboxster 07-09-2005 10:59 AM

Seems like a cool little get together :) ......I think theres about 3 Boxsters on this island all toll, maybe a couple more :D ....Plenty of older 911's tho.....

Hitting a squirrel at 126.....Must have turned him to dust :p

I never hit one critter in 23 years of driving til I came out to Hawaii.....2 birds and a mongoose so far!

I too would LOVE to pay 2.25 a gallon....2.95 out here :eek:

Lou

slogans7 07-09-2005 03:05 PM

The best price for 91 octane I've found at a major name brand down here is about $2.69. But it's all relative - a friend of mine in Liverpool today told me gas there is about $9/gallon. (yes, gallon - not litre). Thanks, China! :(

RandallNeighbour 07-09-2005 03:28 PM

Brits and Europeans pay tons of tax when refueling... we have a lot to be thankful for here in the good old USA, and absolutely nothing to complain about if fuel is under $5 a gallon.

MLegere 07-09-2005 05:30 PM

Randall and all,

Guy's I just have to say WOW.......... what a blast. I havent driven at 100+ speeds for so long EVER. I wish I still had the Boxster but the little Audi TT quattro coupe held its own. The car really needs a rear sway-bar, a bit wider rims, the current set up is 18 x 7 a good short shift kit for the 6-speed gear box and ah..... a little chip action
to take the HP from 225 up to 250-260 and I will be in almost Boxster heaven.

Randall so........ when is the next road trip????????????

RandallNeighbour 07-09-2005 06:34 PM

I think we should plan one for mid August. I leave for my 5000 mile road trip to Gilroy, CA in less than two weeks. I'll need a few days to recouperate before I do any more high speed, high stress driving.

I say high stress because driving that fast for that long was the most fun I've had with my clothes on, but frankly, I needed a nap afterwards. The adrenaline rush was a bit wearing on me... but in the best way, I assure you!

Let's all work hard to let every Boxster owner (and TT owner???) we see between now and then that we're gonna do it again. Next time, we'll take that guy's advice and head out a little further on 109 and find those additional twisty roads!

AztecRol 07-10-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I think we should plan one for mid August. I leave for my 5000 mile road trip to Gilroy, CA in less than two weeks.

You just couldn't resist the Garlic Festival, could ya??

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PAH 07-11-2005 03:51 AM

You're not wrong about the price of fuel over here! I live within 20 miles of Liverpool, and yes, it's just over £4.00 per gallon (UK gallon) or about 90p per litre. That is for 95ron unleaded. If you want super (98ron) then it's about £1 per litre.

Unfortunately, it's got to the stage now where I sometimes take my other car (a diesel Vauxhall Vectra) so I can save some cash - the Boxster S is costing me £60 which is what - $100 or so for a tank. Nearly all tax too.

I'd love to have a meet up and a run over here in the UK. Any Northern England based Boxster owners fancy a meet-up?

RandallNeighbour 07-11-2005 07:13 AM

AztecRol:

I've been dreaming about that garlic festival for two years now since I saw a special on it on Food TV (Had I had digital cable I'd be watching the Speed channel!).

I sure would like to get together with all the boxster owners on this list while in Gilroy. We're there for two short days. One will be spent at the festival and the other will be spent driving around the wineries and possibly a drive up to San Jose to see Jeff (Toolpants) if he's availble. It would be great to shake the hand attached to a Boxster legend, huh?

FUHRIUS 07-11-2005 08:59 AM

when will you be in San Jose?

maybe we should plan a get together in the bay area?

Rothbauer_Racing 07-12-2005 01:00 PM

Randall,

Yep! Like they said in the movie Top Gun, "I feel the need for speed!" The weather could not be better as we thought we might get some rain but, it never came. We look forward to seeing more Boxsters come for our next event. I see them all over Houston.

I do have the EVO HighFlow Fresh Air Intake System and a Super Sprint catback exhaust. Sounds sweet and more power is more power. ;P)

limoncello 07-13-2005 04:19 AM

If you're in Gilroy, you might try the Central Texan Barbeque just down the road in Castroville. Great meat, in "very casual" sawdust on the floor homestyle atmosphere. Castroville is a small town, anybody can point you there. & Castroville is right on the road from Gilroy down to Monterey/Carmel.
Anybody going to the historic races this year?

RandallNeighbour 07-13-2005 05:56 AM

I'll check it out. But, you must remember that Texans are quite proud of two things: Barbeque and Mexican Food (what we call TexMex).

I have not had either of these foods in CA that were worth more than a Del Taco burrito. Oh sure, they TRY to make it like we do here in Texas, but I'm sorry ... one cannot duplicate mesquite fired meats or MexTex mexican food. The flavors just don't measure up.

But let me balance these statements by saying I can guarantee I will consume at least 4 or 5 Del Taco meals while in CA. We used to have them here in Houston when I was a teeager and I loved their meat seasoning and the fact you could get fries with your burrito.

So know that I'm no culinary snob, just a guy who loves to eat all kinds of food. I will, however, do my best to keep an open mind and try the BBQ you recommend. I am always open to finding and consuming better and better BBQ no matter where it is made!

PS - I own and frequently use my 5 foot, New Braunfels Smoker. Hold 3-4 Brisquettes, or 8 chickens. I've even smoked turkeys in it for Christmas, but the damn things are too hard to keep lit <--this was an attempt at humor :)

UKBXSTR 07-13-2005 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAH

I'd love to have a meet up and a run over here in the UK. Any Northern England based Boxster owners fancy a meet-up?

Walton Hall this weekend - 17th - near Warwick - that's another £60 of fuel for you :rolleyes:

CA_Boxster 07-15-2005 11:04 PM

I used to live in Houston, and there are a few things I can guarantee:

1. There is no BBQ or Tex-Mex in NoCal. Forget finding the spicy food - it's all the real Mexican stuff, which is just not the same (Yes, I understand the irony in that statement). Armadillo Willy's Texas BBQ (not "really" TX, but the place feels like a TX icehouse) is pretty good.

2. Gas prices suck. You'll be looking at $2.80-ish in the San Jose area. That said, I agree that we're still lucky to be paying less than $5.

3. The Garlic Festival is an interesting place to spend an afternoon, but let's be honest - Gilroy reeks of the stuff this time of year. It's a very "special" aroma...

Be careful going through Pecos County. They get angry when you exceed 100mph. Same goes for New Mexico. On the positive side, if you get nailed twice in one day the 2nd smokey won't have that information handy yet ;)