986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear Defroster help (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31263-rear-defroster-help.html)

John99Boxster 11-25-2011 06:21 AM

Rear Defroster help

99 Boxster. PO had a new top installed with Glass. It appears that whomever installed it failed to re-connect the rear defroster wiring. I have looked high and low for these wires and can not find them.

The window does have the connectors attached to it....but no wiring.

How would I go about installing the required wiring and re-connecting the defroster?

I.e where does the wiring originate and what gauge wire, what type of connectors?

wawa 11-25-2011 01:04 PM

I had exactly the same problem. You can buy a wire for 159$ at autotopsdirect or make yours for 10$. The connector on the window are simple flat connector worth 0.99$ for 10. Flexible wire, not too thine is good. I could not find the same plug that connect just beside the driver belt and the roll bar, so I bought simple round connector, one for each wire. Its gettho a little, but I'm gonna change the top next spring with a defrost wire included.

later
wawa

John99Boxster 11-26-2011 01:44 AM

Wawa...Thanks....do you have any pictures?

John99Boxster 11-26-2011 02:37 AM

Update.

I now see where the wires originate (behind the drivers seat in a flip up compartment). And if I understand correctly the flat connectors on the window itself are (one positive and one negative).

So that leaves me with 2 questions..

1. Where could I find the connector (looks like 2 pin male) that plugs into the flip top compartment. Or how could I rig it?

2. What type/gauge of wire do I need?

wawa 11-26-2011 04:17 AM

So that leaves me with 2 questions..

1. Where could I find the connector (looks like 2 pin male) that plugs into the flip top compartment. Or how could I rig it?
I used these simple flat 1/4 connector at the window: Wiring Accessories - Camco Term Blue Female Tab 1/4 100
and a bullet terminal near the seat belt : Non-Insulated & Trade - Products - Narva

2. What type/gauge of wire do I need?
I think I used 14 gauge but I'm not sure.

Later
wawa

John99Boxster 11-26-2011 12:14 PM

I think I will give it a go with the bullet terminals and wire.....couldnt hurt to try!

If it doesnt work....then I suppose my wallet will be $159 lighter!

Thanks again Wawa.

John99Boxster 12-15-2011 05:22 AM

So, I finally got around to rigging up a rear defroster wiring harness.....tired of the frost on the back window!

I used 16ga. wire, 2 flat connectors (attached to window) and 2 female tube connectors (attached to plug-in behind drivers seat).

Tested it this morning and it worked HOWEVER......

It took a VERY long time to clear the window...like 20 minutes!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

Direwolf 02-19-2012 03:52 PM

Where I got my wiring harness

I just received a wiring harness that I found on stuttgartclassicparts.com and I only paid $13.69. It did takes 6 weeks to get it but it worked perfectly. Although I will need to make a extension for the second wire that goes to the other side of the window. This harness is made for a hardtop. maybe there is a way built in to the hardtop. The part number is 986.612.081.01.