986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   removing drivers seat (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31156-removing-drivers-seat.html)

pjS03 11-19-2011 03:07 AM

removing drivers seat

How difficult is it to remove the drivers seat?
The previous owner drove her daily for 8 years .
The center of seat is bottomed out , and needs re filling and raising to its proper height.
thanks in advance for any help in this matter. I am new at this, have only had the car since last Sat. when I drove it home from Dallas,Tx.
Its an 03 S which has the electric back adj.
thanks,
Peter

jmatta 11-19-2011 03:29 AM

Four bolts and an electrical connector which needs to be detached. You need to detach the plastic trim at the front of the seat to expose the forward bolts; the rears are exposed when you move the seat forward.

John99Boxster 11-19-2011 03:57 AM

Do a bit more research before you remove the electrical connection...I seem to remember something to do with disconnecting the battery first or you will have an Air Bag light.

pjS03 11-19-2011 04:06 AM

Thank you jmatta

Frodo 11-19-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John99Boxster (Post 264897)
Do a bit more research before you remove the electrical connection...I seem to remember something to do with disconnecting the battery first or you will have an Air Bag light.

True. My first DIY on my '01 was the alternator, a few years ago. Saved lots of $$ not going to the dealership to have it done, then had to turn around and cough up nearly $100 to have them "Check Airbags" (ie, turn off the damn CEL I got when I disconnected the wiring harness under the passenger seat in the process of removing it).

Unlike many CELs, the airbag one is "safety-related" and can't be reset via your standard el cheapo scanners many of us have picked up at AZ or where ever.

Before you disconnect your battery, just make sure you've got your radio code, so as to be able to reset that when you're done.

pjS03 11-19-2011 04:18 AM

thank you both.

jmatta 11-19-2011 01:51 PM

My apologies...should have mentioned the battery disconnect...I kind of assumed you knew to do that when working on seats and doors.

Steve Tinker 11-20-2011 12:28 AM

And to carry on with this theme, are the two seats interchangable?
If you have a worn drivers seat (as the OP has), how difficult would it be to swap it with the unworn passenger seat????

thstone 11-20-2011 01:18 PM

No, the seats are not directly interchangeable because the fore-aft slider adjustment is located to the inside of the car for both seats (right for drivers and left for passengers). Also, seat back adjuster is on the outside (left for drivers and right for passengers).

With that being said, with some work you might be able to swap the seat bottom cushions from one side to the other.

gery67 11-22-2011 01:10 AM

Thanks to all friends for this information i also need this information.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 11-23-2011 07:55 PM

I have successfully removed the drivers seat from both of my Boxsters without disconnecting the battery. They were out for several days while the seats were repaired at the upholstery shop. I was told the secret is not insert the key in the ignition while the seat is being worked on, or while the wires are disconnected. No trouble at all both times.

Frodo 11-24-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 (Post 265527)
I have successfully removed the drivers seat from both of my Boxsters without disconnecting the battery. They were out for several days while the seats were repaired at the upholstery shop. I was told the secret is not insert the key in the ignition while the seat is being worked on, or while the wires are disconnected. No trouble at all both times.

No kiddin'??

trygve 11-25-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 265551)
No kiddin'??

'Tis true. You just have to make sure that any time the seat electrics are unplugged, you do not have the key in the ignition.

Perfectlap 11-26-2011 09:52 AM

Removing those plastic housing caps to get at the front torx bolts is a ********************. I had to retorque the seatbelt hardware on the gt3 seats which were too loose..removing those caps took longer than unbolting the hardware. Make sure to cover the door sill and center console with a thick beach towel. The bottom of the seats have sharp points and the space to move around in is tight. You can easily gouge the paint or interior.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 11-26-2011 11:53 AM

If I remember correctly, the plastic end cap housings just slide forward to come off. What did you have to do to remove them ?

Perfectlap 11-26-2011 01:46 PM

My set were brittle and sticky. Not a good combination.

ChairmanRon 11-26-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 (Post 265815)
If I remember correctly, the plastic end cap housings just slide forward to come off. What did you have to do to remove them ?

I just did this to attach the annoying Lloyd mat retainers. Came off easily. Use a flat screwdriver to gently lift the visible tab and it slides off.

Hoosier1 09-15-2017 10:28 PM

Hi all, new to the forum. Incredibly helpful information, thanks to all who post.
I have an 03 Boxster S, airbag light came on this week. I notice under the drivers seat that the wiring harness has a flat plastic piece that looks like it snaps into the computer. This had come disconnected, might this have caused the airbag light to trigger?

boxfix 09-16-2017 03:21 AM

thanks for this info.. I have to do this soon.

joecal 09-16-2017 03:24 AM

Well you definitely need to connect that back it's for the immobilzer. I don't think that would set off the airbag light though, it's usually when the seat belt wiring connector under the seat is disconnected. I bought a scanner made by Autel, a MaxiDiag Elite MD702 that resets the airbag code.