986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   1998 sold (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31022-1998-sold.html)

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 09:14 AM

1998 sold

That's it, no more 1998 Glacier White primped out ride. I'd like to thank Porsche for the awesome residual value, about what I paid to fix and chrome the wheels. Before you all go celebrating not having to see my 4:30 am inspired replies, I drove a PDK today and I think that transmission is a blast to drive with. I'll be shopping in January with any luck. I almost put an engine in it but my inability to shift makes fixing it stupid, so instead, I took one for the team and boy is my sigmoid sore..

Overdrive 11-10-2011 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear, Ghost, but hey, at least you got to enjoy the experience for the time that you did, and you've found yourself a new love in a PDK. I'm personally not a fan of not rowing my own gears, but if I found myself in a situation where I simply couldn't do that, it would appeal to me, as well.

Now we'll just have to see if you like the finished appearance of the new generation Boxster...or were you planning on a different model/987.2?

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 09:30 AM

Hey O, the thing is I was rowing my own gears, right to redline, in the corner of my choice and far smoother than anyone but an Andretti. I'd rather buy standard, it's cheaper and more fun but PDK doesn't suck like the press it gets in here, I think it's pretty cool indeed. I will be seeking a certified 2009-12 Boxster in winter if all goes well with my short term future.

PS The car was a 2009 Carerra S 3.8 what a sweet ride

Overdrive 11-10-2011 09:50 AM

I see. Think you'll go for an S this time around or sticking with a base?

Spyder? :D

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 09:58 AM

Everything depends on factors that I don't yet have the answers to, I should have a better idea mid winter. I will buy a S this time, I'd like the 320 engine, a spyder would be awesome and I have seen some used already, just depends on what they have early next year. Hopefully, a lot of three year low mileage leases will be around too..A Boxster black edition or maybe even a Cayman but I'd like to stay with the Boxster. I liked the 911 but not as much as the mid engine Porsches.

Overdrive 11-10-2011 10:03 AM

If you're not gonna be year-round DD-ing it, might as go big if you're gonna go, and get a Spyder! ;)

Just my not-the-least-bit-humble (at the moment) opinion.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 10:08 AM

The cool thing about letting my other car go is to be able to open all possibilities. Again, if all goes well, I might go spyder, I'm also running new base boxster build scenarios on their site. A base with pdk, sport exhaust and cool wheels is pretty affordable by comparison, but I have already seen 2009 S, 295 hp cars for 48K, new base or used S one thing to ponder.

DFW02S 11-10-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 263722)
.... I'd like to thank Porsche for the awesome residual value, about what I paid to fix and chrome the wheels. ......

Bah!
Buy an AMG and we can talk about residuals.

A friend tells me that PDK is just awesome on track or street.

Overdrive 11-10-2011 10:12 AM

Definitely all good options to consider. I'd say get the youngest and highest peforming you can afford when the time comes...and supply us with pics.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 10:26 AM

DFW02S, To your point, I really didn't do any worse than a lease, it's just that we all like to get the value and longevity from our cars, hence all the maintenance and camaraderie. If it hadn't become disabled, I'm sure 9-10 would have been possible, oh well better luck next M97 next time.

thstone 11-10-2011 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear that the Boxster is gone, but glad to hear that another one might just be right around the corner in the future!

The PDK's are awesome, its just that most of us like/prefer/desire/want to change our own gears. More of a preference than a knock against the PDK.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 11:52 AM

thstone, I guess if one wanted to they could just use their left leg on the dead pedal space and pretend to clutch because other than that and the gear throw, in manual you can drive exactly like a manual. Downshift, upshift, keep revs high for a corner exit, whatever you want. Most of the Ferrari's are all manumatics.

landrovered 11-10-2011 11:58 AM

My next Porsche will be a PDK, around town it can be a tame grocery getter and on the track it is a caged beast. Best of both worlds and no heel toeing required.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 12:06 PM

What do you guys think of this? It's 1000 cheaper than PSE

Stainless Steel Cat-Back

Overdrive 11-10-2011 12:09 PM

Looks nice, price isn't terrible, just never heard one.

ekam 11-10-2011 12:11 PM

PDK transmission is not serviceable. If it breaks Porsche replaces it with a new one under warranty and they send the broken one back to Germany.

PDK is not as fragile as the tranny from the GT-R but they do break and the owners had their cars towed back to the dealer. Just check the planet9 and 6speed forums.

Just wait until the cars go out of warranty... then it's just IMS part deux.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 12:19 PM

ekam, I would never say the new Porsche is somehow void of any problems. In fact since you brought it up, the sales guy was from the Audi side of the place and I noticed he was roughing up the PDK pretty good. I would love to buy a new car for precisely this reason, my car had 14K on it, no way of knowing whether it was whipped by the PO. Not to worry, people will figure out the new enigma box from Germany and you'll be able to get it fixed here for an arm, keep your leg we just need an arm...

thstone 11-10-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 263747)
thstone, I guess if one wanted to they could just use their left leg on the dead pedal space and pretend to clutch because other than that and the gear throw, in manual you can drive exactly like a manual. Downshift, upshift, keep revs high for a corner exit, whatever you want. Most of the Ferrari's are all manumatics.

I've driven the PDK on the street and the track and what I miss is the involvement and the nuance - when I'm choosing the gears and operating the clutch, I can modulate the clutch as needed for the conditions and/ or execute a perfect heel-and-toe downshift for a corner.

Granted, the PDK can do all of this quite well and generally better than I can, BUT that's not the point. The point is that I want to learn to be able to do it well myself and when I do, I feel like I've personally accomplished something.

Driving fast and/or smoothly by pushing buttons or pulling levers and letting the computer sort it out just doesn't give me the same sense of accomplishment.

As I said, my preference has nothing to do with the PDK. Its an excellent transmission.

Ghostrider 310 11-10-2011 04:00 PM

TH, Everything you said is right from my own prayer book, I'm 52 , my dad let me begin driving stick at 7 on his lot. I've been trying to perfect my shift right up till I couldn't anymore; I'm a member of your band! All I'm saying is, it's a fantastic excitement to know I could still truly enjoy a sports car with a less than adequate left leg. Like Costanza would have said, "I'm back in the game baby"!