Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #1

newbie question

I am new to this forum and have a couple questions, does anyone have problems with their boxsters drifting or roadwalking on highways or interstates at high speeds especially when roads are rough or have slight ruts in them, almost seems as if my car wants to fly off the side of the road, thought it might be alignment problems but car drives straight on smooth roads is this because its a light car with wide tires(factory size), Also do boxster exhausts usually make creaking and cracking sounds a few min. after shutting off when cooling down?
thanx for any replies and for the great forum!

blackboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #2

Wide sticky tires will pull on grooved or rough pavement. I remember the first time this happened in my Acura on a recently re-paved highway I thought I had a flat
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #3

Ditto what BB said.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #4

Mine cooling down exactly like yours

"Also do boxster exhausts usually make creaking and cracking sounds a few min. after shutting off when cooling down"-mine do exactly same sounds.
zagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #5

Not unusual for the cars tires to catch ruts and cracks in the road at all.....Some tires may be better at going thru these than others, tho my Pirellis just LOVE to catch any imperfections in the road.....Remember, these cars were made in Germany where the roads are meticuosly maintained, unlike most roads in America...

The clicking and popping kind of noise has something to do with the exhaust/catalytic converters I think.....Mine does the same thing, I don't know exactly why it does this tho.....Maybe someone will chime in on it....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
.....Remember, these cars were made in Germany where the roads are meticuosly maintained, unlike most roads in America...
Huh? I've driven the autobahns three times in the last six years. Most were two lanes both sides divided with a low, weed covered guard rail. Numerous patches on the blacktop. Uneven pavement. Totally destroyed my imagined idea of pristine roads that were many lanes wide and in really great condition.

The only beautiful autobahn I drove was the superhighway built to connect northeast cities to Berlin. That was 5 lanes on both sides of new concrete. I was in a rented 02 Carrera Cabriolet I secured for the day from Avis of all places. (top speed=162 mph)

Oddly enough, whenever my German friends come here they are amazed at how well built our interestate highways are and totally pissed off they can't utilize them to drive fast. Now that's gotta be frustrating.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #7

I would double check your tire pressure. You may have too much air or not enough. I found that my car felt like it was going to slide out on me when pushing a little through the turns. It turned out, the dealer put 60 psi in the tires. I never thought to check that on a brand new car, but sure enough, I had to let out almost half of the air. Now the car rides and drives like a dream. I called the dealer and they had no explaination. (not suprised) Also, that crackling is the exaust cooling down. totally normal.
BoxsterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #8

thanx for all the replies I have the correct tire pressure in front and back of the car, at high speeds 80mph and above to me on some roads just don't feel as safe as my truck or sedan and I thought since it was a sports car it should actually feel like it was going slower than it really was going. I drove the car from arizona to arkansas when we bought it and first thought I was just not used to a car that light and felt like on some interstates any slight twitch in the steering wheel and I was going off the road at higher speeds.
blackboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #9

Randall,
I have never driven on the autobahn, but I had heard their roads were built twice as thick as our highways.....So much for what you hear! The documentary I saw on TV about the autobahn must have been misleading......You WOULD think that in areas where you have unlimited speed, the roads would need to be in great shape, as any bump, etc. at 150+ mph could throw you for a loop....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #10

Hi blackboxster

Something just dosnt sound right there. My 2000 it tight and straight all the way to max speed, no wandering at all. I'm wondering if perhaps a rim may slightly be buckled?

As for the exhausts, its natural, and just the metal cooling down from quite high temperatures.

Aussie2000S is offline   Reply With Quote