986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Best sway bar kit for 01 S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30963-best-sway-bar-kit-01-s.html)

RDS993 11-06-2011 04:40 AM

Best sway bar kit for 01 S

Hello,

I'm researching sway bar kits & Have found the Eibach F&R to be a cost effective option.
The Eibach front is 24mm & the rear is 19mm. The stock S sway bar is 19mm?

Is it worth changing to the rear Eibach sway bar if it is the same size?
Are the Eibach stiffer?.

Also what drop link should I use?

Thanks Rich

Johnny Danger 11-06-2011 05:10 AM

As far as a "street" application is concerned, I've had positive results with the H&R kit on my vehicle .

Front = 26 mm
Rear = 22 mm

RDS993 11-06-2011 03:39 PM

ok- I will go with that set up. Waht drop links did you use?

Thanks Rich

Wingnut2u 11-08-2011 04:29 AM

I use Tarett drop links on both my 986 and 997
986/987 Swaybars & Drop Links

insite 11-08-2011 04:32 AM

FYI, stock drop links are fine with either Eibach or H&R. the Eibach is a roughly the same as the M030 sport suspension from Porsche. the H&R are a LOT more stout. if you value a nice balance between comfort & sport, go eibach or M030. if you want to add quite a bit more roll stiffness, go H&R.

sgt brad 11-28-2011 06:58 AM

i have been looking at sway bars as well and it appears that the eibachs and h&r's are the same size. both are listed as 26/22. i just checked on eibach's webiste and it confirmed this. this is when you buy the f/r kit so maybe the individual ones are various sizes, but that doens't seem likely.

fwiw it appears that the eibachs are about 150.00 cheaper for the set so that helps. i wish there were hollow bars available. it sure saves a bunch of weight under there.

op please keep us posted on which route you take and how it works out. as a new owner i am keen to hear the results.

brad

BYprodriver 11-28-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDS993 (Post 263114)
Hello,

I'm researching sway bar kits & Have found the Eibach F&R to be a cost effective option.
The Eibach front is 24mm & the rear is 19mm. The stock S sway bar is 19mm?

Is it worth changing to the rear Eibach sway bar if it is the same size?
Are the Eibach stiffer?.

Also what drop link should I use?

Thanks Rich

I just installed the rear Eibach bar, original drop links in the middle adjustment hole. Big reduction of understeer. :D

Topless 11-28-2011 12:27 PM

Suggestion...
Choose your tire compounds first and then add sway bars to match your lateral grip:

Sticky street tires- M030 rear bar and leave the front stock.
Mild R-Comp tires- M030 bars F/R or Tarret if you need adjustability.
Racing slicks- Tarret or H&R fully adjustable sways.

jaykay 11-28-2011 12:38 PM

Will a front GT3 on full soft give a good setting for sticky street or will you be sliding? You could then adjust for compounds.

I am feeling too much front end rolling with stock S front bar....I may just be me

I feel the rear stock S to be okay right now but was going to eventually go tarrett on full soft as a next step

Topless 11-28-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 266049)
Will a front GT3 on full soft give a good setting for sticky street or will you be sliding? You could then adjust for compounds.

I am feeling too much front end rolling with stock S front bar....I may just be me

I feel the rear stock S to be okay right now but was going to eventually go tarrett on full soft as a next step

I have a front GT3 bar on full soft running R-comp NT-01s. Personally I think it is too much bar for the front of a Boxster unless you are running slicks, but others will surely disagree. I don't like a car that feels totally tied down. Too much sway bar F/R can result in a very precise but twitchy ride with a lot of wheel spin on corner exit. Wheel spin is slow.

My brother's 99 still has a stock front bar and M030 rear which feels great... and he is very fast.

Suspension setups are a very personal thing and there is no "one perfect setting" for every driver. You have my suggested setups based on the way I like a Boxster to feel when driven at the edge. Consider that a starting point for further testing until you find what works best for you. Tommy Kendall also prefers a car with a little movement (not too much sway bar). Scott Pruett likes the front to bite and be really loose in the rear. Andy Lally likes very balanced, neutral, and precise. All three certainly know how to win. All three would say " choose your tire compounds first, then set up your sways."