986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Engine Longevity (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/30962-engine-longevity.html)

alemar 11-06-2011 04:36 AM

Engine Longevity

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a 2000 Boxster with 60K miles on it. The IMS had been done at the dealers along with oil & filter change, air filter change, and spark plug replacement. What kind of engine life can I expect if proper maintenance of the car is performed???
Seems like Boxsters with over 100K miles really drop in price. Is the price reflective of engine longevity???

Thanks,
Alex

tnoice 11-06-2011 04:58 AM

No, it is an indication of almost any German vehicle with more than 100,000 miles on it. Most people are relying on the dealership or an independent mechanic to do all of the maintance and with it being out of warrenty, it can get expensive. Look at almost any BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, or Audi (or any others i might be forgetting) and you will see that depreciation is atroucious after 100,000 miles.

san rensho 11-06-2011 06:07 AM

Many report cars with well over 100k miles and there are some with over 200k. Engine life dDepends on maintenance, driving style and the luck of the draw, to a certain extent, but these cars can easily last well over 100k miles.

blue2000s 11-06-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alemar (Post 263113)
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a 2000 Boxster with 60K miles on it. The IMS had been done at the dealers along with oil & filter change, air filter change, and spark plug replacement. What kind of engine life can I expect if proper maintenance of the car is performed???
Seems like Boxsters with over 100K miles really drop in price. Is the price reflective of engine longevity???

Thanks,
Alex

What IMS job did the dealer do? I don't expect many dealers will do the LN bearing job.

MileHighBoxster 11-06-2011 07:07 AM

Engine life is dependent on many factors. All vehicles considered "high-mileage" make new buyers leery of how the car was maintained. If you keep all your records and can show your maintenance to a prospective buyer, they will be less concerned about your mileage. ALL vehicles lose value as the mileage goes up. Take care of your car and enjoy it.

alemar 11-06-2011 11:53 AM

Don't know about the LN. Dealer claims to have also replaced the RMS in addition to the IMS. The car drives great and we are enjoying going topless (although for the past week and a half the weather has been lousy).
I plan on keeping this car as newer models are so expensive. Thanks to all that responded.

Topless safely,
Alex